ChrissyMP

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2019
Hello! I am new to this site and these are my first silkie chicks, but I have been reading lots of things online about how it is difficult to tell their gender at a young age. I’m just curious if anyone on here thinks my black silkie will turn out to be a rooster, just based off of memory on how your roosters looked growing up. Our white silkie has much softer feathers all around and our black silkie looks like it is starting to grow “streamers” on the back of its neck, which I had read was a rooster trait. The black silkie is also a lot more alert and seems to be a “protector” over the white chick, in my opinion and the white chick seems a lot calmer than the black chick. They are very young right now, 5 weeks old. Attached are some pictures. Thanks for your guys’ input! :)
0B010F33-185D-4B86-9A98-964233743AAF.jpeg
97F89B7C-21A9-436B-9A2F-86791E7BAD3A.jpeg

Sorry, but it’s way too early to tell or even take a guess based on appearance as of yet. These little guys can be super sneaky on reveling gender. The best thing would be to wait until they’re 4 or 5 months, take some new pictures and repost. Sometimes even then it’s difficult to tell! :barnie

Based on your observance of the black chick’s behavior, it does sound more cockerel like. But only time will tell for sure. :)

Just for kicks I’ll attach a pic of one of my month old chicks that I’m 99% sure is a cockerel because (unfortunately :hit) he has the wrong type of comb.

1466A9ED-6C11-4003-AA1C-E4B5F6DDDBF4.jpeg

45F25ACE-CA5C-4213-81DD-A6AB2765613E.jpeg

Sorry, but it’s way too early to tell or even take a guess based on appearance as of yet. These little guys can be super sneaky on reveling gender. The best thing would be to wait until they’re 4 or 5 months, take some new pictures and repost. Sometimes even then it’s difficult to tell! :barnie

Based on your observance of the black chick’s behavior, it does sound more cockerel like. But only time will tell for sure. :)

Just for kicks I’ll attach a pic of one of my month old chicks that I’m 99% sure is a cockerel because (unfortunately :hit) he has the wrong type of comb.

View attachment 1819880

View attachment 1819886

Aw, yours is too cute! I figured it would definitely be too early, but I am just anxious!! I guess it will just be a waiting game to see what they turn out to be! Haha.

I’m in the same boat myself
@ChrissyMP & @Gilded Feather

Got room in your boat for a 3rd waiting parent?
This is Flip and Flop, going on 6 weeks.
I feel like there is 1ea m/f, going pretty much on the same basis of head feathers and one being more alert/spunky. I don't know though. Maybe I just wasn't 1 of each sex that bad lol. Happy waiting folks!
:love:love:love

20190618_164225.jpg
20190618_164245.jpg

I feel like there is 1ea m/f, going pretty much on the same basis of head feathers and one being more alert/spunky. I don't know though. Maybe I just wasn't 1 of each sex that bad lol. Happy waiting folks!
Aww, so sweet! :love But of course we have room! :yesss:

Definitely sending good luck to you both that you have at least one male and one female. :fl

Cute!! There is plenty of room in this boat! I love the names. I still haven't thought of good names for our babies. :he

I’m stuck on names as well. Then again, it is kind of rough to pick out 18 different names. Every one is such a character. :idunno
I'm in the same position with my ducks. Right now I've got 10 Runner ducks, 4 Pekin ducks, and 7 Ancona ducks. Only 3 have dedicated names. 2 have rotating names due to the fact that we let our five year old name those two, and nobody can ever remember the names he used, including him. >.<

I named the 2 Silkies Flip & Flop because of the feathered feet, and being in, FL I wear flip flops all the time... lol it's the only farmer's tan I have. The fury fella is Springer, our barn cat without a barn.
20190621_080206.jpg

I'm in the same position with my ducks. Right now I've got 10 Runner ducks, 4 Pekin ducks, and 7 Ancona ducks. Only 3 have dedicated names. 2 have rotating names due to the fact that we let our five year old name those two, and nobody can ever remember the names he used, including him. >.<

I named the 2 Silkies Flip & Flop because of the feathered feet, and being in, FL I wear flip flops all the time... lol it's the only farmer's tan I have. The fury fella is Springer, our barn cat without a barn.
View attachment 1820649
Aww, Springer is adorable! Lol but flip and flop are aptly named silkies I see. :)

:lau And I completely understand the struggle of remembering the preferred name a child chooses. I have a toddler myself.

Back
Top Bottom