Pics
Legs was a perfect gentleman tonight when I brought him inside to handle him while he got a small treat. Little did I suspect how much weight he had put on since the last time I held him. If I can get him to cooperate this well outside in good light I can show his true shiny colors better. He made no effort to escape my lap. I dressed expecting him to mess me up but he actually let me just pet him like a puppy while he either stood or sat perfectly still.
View attachment 3719265
He looks so long while sitting, and he has great feathers!

Legs is having a really rough and confused time right now. While we where out doing chores this afternoon he came along and managed to catch a small RIR hen. He couldn't mount her so he just straddled her standing on the ground. He needs some of those big Brahma ladies to get his long legs to work.

I faced the same issue with my boy. I introduced a big Tsouloufati girl to him, and although he could get on her, he couldn't balance. That hen ended up getting a serious wound on her side, from the time he tried to mount her, grabbed on, and tumbled over. Then I got him two brahma hens and everything is fine. This is his daughter
Screenshot_20231130_163402_Messages.jpg

Twelve-ish years ago I had a Ganoi rooster that regularly mated bantam hens. He put a foot on either side and mated them. Obviously it wouldn't have worked if the hens hadn't been willing and held themselves still.

Twelve-ish years ago I had a Ganoi rooster that regularly mated bantam hens. He put a foot on either side and mated them. Obviously it wouldn't have worked if the hens hadn't been willing and held themselves still.

That definitely takes some finesse! Requires a certain level of intelligence as well. I wonder if the difference in size was so great that it was compatible with mating, albeit very strange mating, whereas a medium sized hen is more of an invitation to mount

That definitely takes some finesse! Requires a certain level of intelligence as well. I wonder if the difference in size was so great that it was compatible with mating, albeit very strange mating, whereas a medium sized hen is more of an invitation to mount
He mounted the Ganoi hen he was with, so I guess he learned to just do it that way.

He mounted the Ganoi hen he was with, so I guess he learned to just do it that way.

Just goes to show how intelligent these birds are. I don't think mine would have been so patient. He was young and hormonal, too much of a learning curve for a youngster. In any case, he is now very happy with his two ladies, and his daughter is very pretty, and friendly, which is definitely genetic, since I do not handle my free rangers as much after I had one stolen

Just goes to show how intelligent these birds are. I don't think mine would have been so patient. He was young and hormonal, too much of a learning curve for a youngster. In any case, he is now very happy with his two ladies, and his daughter is very pretty, and friendly, which is definitely genetic, since I do not handle my free rangers as much after I had one stolen
My Cubalaya are naturally skittish of strangers, I really appreciate that.

My Cubalaya are naturally skittish of strangers, I really appreciate that.

That is very good, I've heard of similar stories with these intelligent birds, although I haven't had the chance to see my boy's reaction to strangers. "Regular" chickens are not as good with compartmentalizing, so they are wary of everyone, some more than others of course

Back
Top Bottom