The Honey Factory

Finished re-furbishing two small bee-hives yesterday. Removing the old weathered paint with a sander and elbow grease, painting three layers of water-based latex-paint and sealed it with UV-resistant polyurethane lacquer. Here's the result:
full

I have ordered a NUC of Saskatraz Carniolan cross for May pickup. The Colony I have of that strain have come through the winter very healthy and strong, so strong I have to make a split when the weather breaks. Hopefully I get this done before Blueberry flow starts. First year I was able to pull one medium box with 37 pounds of honey in the fall leaving them 120 pounds of stores and I still had to supply "bricks". Doing a Formic Pro treatment so everything is clean for the flow. People are already asking for honey. Fall honey had a little hot zing to it which I like, Spring will be a little sweeter and milder on the pallet, Been fortunate as there have been no "varmitts" on the trail cam.

IMG_5882.JPG

This was Saturday morning.

It's almost gone now, and will disappear quickly with a high of 58 today.

A week from Wednesday, ie, 3 April, we have another bee meeting, and the subject is splits. Exactly what I need to learn about! I hope to split my colony, and I think I'll buy a queen from somebody in the club, if anyone has one for sale.

Back
Top Bottom