The Honey Factory

Pics
The wild black cherry trees are in full bloom here... the yard smells great... and the top of the one big tree has a familiar humming sound

No bee in this picture... but this is one of the blooms from a smaller tree

1EC7C06D-1BD2-4457-9015-07E3D7DE0F1C.jpeg

The wild black cherry trees are in full bloom here... the yard smells great... and the top of the one big tree has a familiar humming sound

No bee in this picture... but this is one of the blooms from a smaller tree

View attachment 2117216
Those look like chokecherry blooms to me. My chokecherries are just starting to leaf out.

Those look like chokecherry blooms to me. My chokecherries are just starting to leaf out.

Yeah, I don’t think there’s much difference in the blooms of the two...

what I have here is black cherry... I have several big older black cherry trees that self seed all over the place ... but that’s not to say we don’t have a choke cherry or two around though

Doh!... these bees are selfishly hoarding the oriole treats!

this was the base of an old feeder that I ruined by running it through the dishwasher last year... the new one has bee guards... apparently an import feature, lol

View attachment 2117230
That's just like the one I had that got swarmed! Lol

Yeah, I don’t think there’s much difference in the blooms of the two...

what I have here is black cherry... I have several big older black cherry trees that self seed all over the place ... but that’s not to say we don’t have a choke cherry or two around though
The wild black cherries that I grew up with had single blooms like a regular cherry. They also got big and were a sweet cherry.

That's just like the one I had that got swarmed! Lol

I picked this one up for cheap at the end of the year at Menards... the bee guards work well for keeping the bees out...

and the hummingbirds figured it out... but the orioles are not real enthusiastic about it ... they prefer the orange halves or grape jelly

Attachments

• 911FA3E8-D7CC-4383-8FB7-43B6B759212C.jpeg
    911FA3E8-D7CC-4383-8FB7-43B6B759212C.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 1
The wild black cherries that I grew up with had single blooms like a regular cherry. They also got big and were a sweet cherry.

I’m not familiar with that, might be an escaped cultivar? A variety of ‘prunes avium’ or something?

the wild black cherry we have are prunus serotina... think fancy cherry wood lumber type tree

I’m not familiar with that, might be an escaped cultivar? A variety of ‘prunes avium’ or something?

the wild black cherry we have are prunus serotina... think fancy cherry wood lumber type tree
We have the same as you, I think. There is not a lot of difference between the black cherry and choke cherry other than the bark. Choke cherries have a smooth bark and the black cherry is a very rough bark.

Back
Top Bottom