The Honey Factory

Yeah, if there is drawn wax try to keep it. Add wax to undrawn areas that seem lacking.

Plastic foundation is frowned on because bees can be reluctant to draw it. The reason is there is not enough wax on it or it's melted from the cell lips. Bees will readily draw plastic if enough wax. I'm in love with plastic as you can pop it out, scrape old black comb off, scrub it up and rewax. It's nearly indestructible and completely reuseable.

Another method if you've 100's of foundations to redo or add wax : Deep turkey fry kettle with water and two plus inches of wax on top. Dip half the foundation, turn and dip other half. This method applies at a rate of 9-10 lbs wax per 100 deep frames. For unwaxed frames. The foam roller method is better for poorly waxed frames. Adding less than 4 lbs wax per 100 frames.

Last edited:
Managed to inspect hives and clean bottom boards this week. A couple colonies had queen cups already. This was a great overwintering year, lots of strong colonies. I'll try and stop it, but a few are gonna get away on me for sure.
IMG_20230413_172037523_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230413_170701226_HDR.jpg

Reconfigure and super them for the maple flow. We are getting seasonable temps next week so I'd not do a complete reversal.

Your hives did well. Did you get pollen coming in first week of April this year?

Last edited:
Just over 3 weeks until I get my bees. :)

I'm getting a nuc, and I'll be driving about an hour and a half each way. I saw online a recommendation to take a mesh bag, like a laundry bag. Then you can put the nuc in that, just in case any bees escape, they won't be flying around in the car. Hubby is going with me, and I think that might be a really good idea.

Maybe a spray bottle of light syrup...? Suggestions?

Just over 3 weeks until I get my bees. :)

I'm getting a nuc, and I'll be driving about an hour and a half each way. I saw online a recommendation to take a mesh bag, like a laundry bag. Then you can put the nuc in that, just in case any bees escape, they won't be flying around in the car. Hubby is going with me, and I think that might be a really good idea.

Maybe a spray bottle of light syrup...? Suggestions?
I put mine in the mesh bag, it works really well. We haven't had any escapees.
Is it your husband that's allergic? You could put them in the trunk and open the trunk for some fresh air every 30 minutes or so.
No need for the sugar syrup until you get home.

As far as we know, neither of us is allergic. I have 3 neighbors who are.

I've been stung on the hand by wasps a couple times in the past couple years. I got a big swollen area, like half an orange stuffed under my skin. It hurt, then it itched. No other issues, thank goodness.

As far as we know, neither of us is allergic. I have 3 neighbors who are.

I've been stung on the hand by wasps a couple times in the past couple years. I got a big swollen area, like half an orange stuffed under my skin. It hurt, then it itched. No other issues, thank goodness.
Venoms are different for each species, so you can't assume that you will react the same way to all of them. The probability of having a deadly allergy to honeybees is very low, only 0.001%. In the US, only about 60 people die from stings every year. Most likely, you and your neighbors are not among them. But you can't rely on your doctor to tell you that, unless you get a specific test from an allergist. A normal reaction to a sting is some swelling and itching. A serious reaction is anaphylactic shock, which requires immediate medical attention. You'll build up a tolerance to stings if you are gloveless. Ive gotten to the point where I can't remember where I was stung a half hour later. Oddly enough I look forward to the first spring sting.
One tip for bringing your nuc home is to put your AC on high. Cold is way better for shipping bees than heat. They will tend to cluster and not fly.

Back
Top Bottom