The Honey Factory

We did a sugar roll last Friday. We found 3 mites, so 1%.

We have Formic Pro that came with the hive we bought. From what I've read, it's going to be too warm to use it, for the forecasted future.

Any suggestions, anyone?
You're still below threshold so you could hold off until temps are consistently below 85F. Treatments you can use when its hot are Hopguard III and oxalic acid. Im not a fan of Hopguard but some beekeepers do have a good results. Oxalic acid will only kill phoretic mites, mites under cappings wont be effected. I would do an oxalic acid dribble or vaporization and see what the 24 hr. mite drop is like. Great job counting mites!

https://www.betterbee.com/instructions-and-resources/betterbee-product-corner-formic-pro.asp

Hey all,

I am new to beekeeping. Do you guys know of any good platforms like BYC, but for bees?
Or is this a good forum I can get advice from to be a sufficient beekeeper?

I lost my first batch of bees in 2021 during the winter when the temperatures reached 65-70 degrees for 2 days. The bees came out of the hive, but the temperature dramatically dropped to approximately 30 degrees and remained in the 30s to mid-40s.

We think it was humidity that killed them. I was not the only one who lost their bees that year.

So, this is my second attempt at keeping bees.

What do y'all think?

Hey all,

I am new to beekeeping. Do you guys know of any good platforms like BYC, but for bees?
Or is this a good forum I can get advice from to be a sufficient beekeeper?

I lost my first batch of bees in 2021 during the winter when the temperatures reached 65-70 degrees for 2 days. The bees came out of the hive, but the temperature dramatically dropped to approximately 30 degrees and remained in the 30s to mid-40s.

We think it was humidity that killed them. I was not the only one who lost their bees that year.

So, this is my second attempt at keeping bees.

What do y'all think?
Where are you located? Have you taken a beekeeping class?

Highly unlikely that this was the cause. I have had bees active all winter on warm days. It is far more likely that they ran out of food stores because of increased activity in the hive or one of the many other causes such as mites.

There are a few knowledgeable beekeepers here. I'm too new to be of much help, as this is my first year with bees.

If you have questions, ask! Start your own bee thread, if you like, too.

We need a bee section here on BYC, like they have on BYH.

Which I still haven't been able to log on to, at last check, which was a couple weeks ago... I should try again. Sigh.

There are a few knowledgeable beekeepers here. I'm too new to be of much help, as this is my first year with bees.

If you have questions, ask! Start your own bee thread, if you like, too.

We need a bee section here on BYC, like they have on BYH.

Which I still haven't been able to log on to, at last check, which was a couple weeks ago... I should try again. Sigh.
Try now. They made some changes last week that have allowed others to get on. The Bee forum on BYH does not seem very active.

Check around for local bee clubs. They can be very helpful.

Prairie Wind Bee Supply has some good videos.

Back
Top Bottom