The Honey Factory

Warm temps today so I opened up a couple nucs to see how things are going. These are young, late season queens that I didnt get a chance to mark. They are starting to lay so I have a 3 day window to treat them one last time with OAV before they have lots of capped brood.

You can see the fresh eggs in the cells below her.
IMG_20240227_161251783~2.jpg

This queen is a bit ambitious and has 2 eggs in one cell.
IMG_20240227_161240215~2 (1).jpg
IMG_20240227_160537715~2.jpg

Plenty of stores!
IMG_20240227_160751347_HDR.jpg

66 degrees here in the Jersey Pine Barrens. Noticed the crew bringing in pollen, I'm thinking from what we call Swamp Maple. They're pushing me but March is a fickle month. Wanted to go deep but decided to wait for a string of warmer days. Did sneak a peek, no smoke or gear, looks like I'll have to make some splits. Bees were so busy paid me no mind. Ready with boxes, drawn comb and new foundation. Very satisfying see them all roiling and boiling this time of year.

Today was a bad day here for all bee-keepers. Already got word that one of the neighbors hives suffered damage.
I wasn't able to sleep for the whole night: There was Lightning and Thunder at the horizon to the north-west throughout the whole night as that cold front stalled out just about north of us here.
Then shortly after 8am that front started to move again and the bad weather came through with a vengeance.
First the dux were all scared but then they discovered that mother nature presented them with a great opportunity to deepen the mud around the house and started drilling…

Warm temps today so I opened up a couple nucs to see how things are going. These are young, late season queens that I didnt get a chance to mark. They are starting to lay so I have a 3 day window to treat them one last time with OAV before they have lots of capped brood.

You can see the fresh eggs in the cells below her.
View attachment 3758854
This queen is a bit ambitious and has 2 eggs in one cell.View attachment 3758857View attachment 3758859
Plenty of stores!View attachment 3758860
Will one of the eggs eventually die in the double laid cells? I see she has done that several times.

Back
Top Bottom