The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Peeps, we've got 9 HATCHED peepers. One of them being a serama, and a BUNCH of pips! All the serama are pipped!

Thinking slightly ahead: the temperatures right now are not what they were in the summer, so their brooder for the first week will be a cardboard box. Thing is, I don't know what the cardboard box held before I acquired it, and I don't know where it has been. Is it sanitary enough for these chicks?

Peeps, we've got 9 HATCHED peepers. One of them being a serama, and a BUNCH of pips! All the serama are pipped!

Thinking slightly ahead: the temperatures right now are not what they were in the summer, so their brooder for the first week will be a cardboard box. Thing is, I don't know what the cardboard box held before I acquired it, and I don't know where it has been. Is it sanitary enough for these chicks?
This is fabulous news Fluffy! :woot Go Serama!! :wee

As long as this box didn't previously contain anything toxic or birds, it's probably sanitary enough.

This is fabulous news Fluffy! :woot Go Serama!! :wee

As long as this box didn't previously contain anything toxic or birds, it's probably sanitary enough.

That's the thing, other than the fact that it's a box I acquired from the supermarket (after offloading the boxes, they will give them to the public, especially if you know someone within), I don't know anything about its past

That's the thing, other than the fact that it's a box I acquired from the supermarket (after offloading the boxes, they will give them to the public, especially if you know someone within), I don't know anything about its past
You could always give it a light wipe down with some Hydrogen Peroxide or Bleach. Lightly dampen a rag, wipe the sides, floor, and cracks.

What if any labels are on the outside of the box? Are there any stains or smells coming from the cardboard? No dust/powdery residue or mold spots or anything? It's most likely fine to use as a brooder if it looks clean and doesn't have any smells in it or anything like that.

The box I'm planning on using doesn't seem to have any powdery stuff, mold, or a funny smell. The box says it's a chandelier, so I'm guessing that's what it held. Safe, right?

The box I'm planning on using doesn't seem to have any powdery stuff, mold, or a funny smell. The box says it's a chandelier, so I'm guessing that's what it held. Safe, right?

Yeah, I wouldn't think there would be any part of a chandelier that would be toxic or leave fumes or anything. If you wanted to be extra extra safe, you could wipe it out like TwoCrows suggested, though. I think it'll do the job just fine. 🙂

You could always give it a light wipe down with some Hydrogen Peroxide or Bleach. Lightly dampen a rag, wipe the sides, floor, and cracks.

OK. After that, I assume I'd need to let the bleach "fumes" (can't think of a better word right now, watching number 19 hatch) aerate before putting in any chicks?

:wee :ya:jumpy :woot
Congratulations!
Let's go rest of the chickies!

fun hello GIF by Molang

Back
Top Bottom