The Vanilla Extract Project

For me the beverage of choice when making vanilla extract is Myers Dark Rum... with Madagascar or Bourbon(or a mix) beans.
The inherent flavors blend really well with the vanilla without being overtly noticeable once the steep is done. And it's smoother and less sharp than vodka or light rum choices IMO.

Other liquors I've used have never stood up to that formula.
Not vodka, and not whiskey or bourbon, not light rum.
Haven't tried tequila as I thought the mild resinous note would be out of place.
I admit that certain gins might work well with Mexican beans in particular. I'm thinking one of my personal favorites, Damrak, with it's slightly citrus and floral notes might just work well. I don't think a predominantly juniper-led distillation would go over as well though. Gin has become so widely variable in it's notes in the past 5 years or so, which has been excellent!) that it might be worth searching out the right brand to test a batch with.

I'll be following along to see how your batches turn out!

Yeah, I think alcohol choice as far as making vanilla extract can depend on what a person may want to make. I know that vodka interferes the least with the vanilla flavor. Then there are preferred alcohol bases for vanilla extract to make cordials or specific desserts. Rum is definitely a good choice for a sweeter taste to a vanilla extract, it would definitely come in handy for rum cake. There are also holiday recipes that may call for brandy to be poured over freshly baked cakes or stewed fruit. Imagine using a vanilla brandy for something like that! I think whatever liquor that is used is only limited to the imagination. One thing i want to try to use the tequila based vanilla in is flan. I have a few ideas for various recipes that I've picked up over the years that may needed something a little different thrown in.

Back
Top Bottom