Homemade vanilla extract. Can you use Gin? **PICS ADDED**

Yeah, they must be good. They are in an sucky vac bag right now and the kitchen is filling with the aroma of vanilla!! They're very strong! I'm gonna go raid hubbies collection of bottles and get mine going!!

Quote:
Quietly...ya don't wanna get caught until AFTER the fact
lol.png

Quote:
Yours sound to be very fresh. I actually store mine in a ziplock baggy which I put into another ziplock baggy. It's amazing how the fragrance permeates. Then put them in a dark spot like a cabinet.
Oh, and if you're going to make vanilla, split the beans lengthwise and scrape out some of the "caviar" and put that in your bottle along with your split beans. Make sure you shake the bottle often. I use a cork to seal my bottles. I put a piece of plastic wrap over the cork, then microwave it to "shrink wrap" the plastic so the cork doesn't get wet.

Jen

Last edited:
Here's my pretty finished product! Each bottle holds about a quart, I have already used some and it is WONDERFUL!!! How ya like my pretty yardsale bottles? I found those both at the same sale and only gave ONE dollar! couldn't believe it, and just when I needed them!! Sweet!

45943_sweet_booze_001.jpg

ETA: Gin to the left, Vodka to the right. Vodka is WAYYYY darker!

Last edited:
If my husband wasn't a southern baptist decon I would sooo be at the liquor store right now and be brewing vanilla extract! Why didn't I think of that before now? I just said to my dear deaconated husband that I needed a 50 gallon DRUM of vanilla extract, I go through it so fast! Now, to sneak into the liquor store
hide.gif

I don't like vodka. Someone gave me a bottle of Grey Goose. It is the base for my now-brewing vanilla extract. I get beans from Beanilla. When I told my neighbor about this, he gasped and almost passed out, lol. Tip: use cheap vodka for your vanilla extract, and give the expensive stuff to your friends.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom