Homemade vanilla extract. Can you use Gin? **PICS ADDED**

Cindiloohoo

Quiet as a Church Mouse
14 Years
Dec 19, 2009
Southwest TN
I have a bottle of Beefeater Gin, that I got at a yardsale
lol.png
I don't drink, but I liked the collection of old liquor bottles and have been using it as kitchen decor until I figured I could make homemade vanilla with some of it. Has anyone done this? I know you are supposed to use vodka or rum to make it, but Beefeater is supposedly the smoothest tasting Gin so would it matter? It's old... I don't think that stuff goes bad, but it is from 1985!
lol.png
Guess I could use the 33 year old whiskey if I can't use the gin, but I reaalllly like that bottle, it's a bicentennial edition of Old Weller, very pretty, and sealed adds to the charm. I really just don't want to have to drive to the liquor store either. I live in a dry county and the closest other county is a dry county as well
hmm.png
That never bothered me till now
sad.png

Last edited:
It will work I think you will have a bit of a juniper like flavor which could be great or you may hate it, my guess is that it will be just fine, I would not hesitate yo do it.

I did it
big_smile.png
It smells WONDERFUL already! It's already turning a nice color of amber and smells delicious...I dunno if I can wait long enough before trying it out
lol.png
I'll update in about 6 weeks to give it a bit of time to age to let you all know how it does.
wink.png

ETA: Last night it smelled baked cookies beside a Christmas tree
tongue.png
It no longer smells like a Christmas tree but already has a distinct vanilla scent. Not too strong, but definately vanilla and ONLY vanilla.
smile.png
I think I will like it!

Last edited:
Quote:
How do you make it vanilla extact?

yes. do tell!

Simple. Buy some good quality vanilla beans, a bottle of whichever liquor you decide to use. For a pint use about 4 beans, split them down the center with a sharp knife, put them in the alcohol, and let them soak for 6 weeks. The alcohol naturally extracts the vanillin over time.
smile.png
Use like usual for baking and such. As you get low, top off with alcohol and add in a few beans. Oh, and duh...ya have to shake it at least once a day the first week, and once a week after that until it is properly aged. It smells heavenly!!!!!!!!

Where do you get good quality beans at?

I would love to do this....I go through so much vanilla and it is expensive too.

Back
Top Bottom