Homemade vanilla extract. Can you use Gin? **PICS ADDED**

Quote:
I got the McCorrmick Madagascar vanilla beans from Wal-Mart. 2 beans were $8!!! BUT...I can make all the vanilla I need for WAYYYY cheaper than store bought little 2 oz for $4 of vanilla. It is pretty pricey to start out, but I believe it will be well worth it
smile.png

There are a bunch of online places to buy from too. When you buy bulk, you can save $$. It last forever too. I love using mine in pancakes
droolin.gif

You can get bulk vanilla beans on ebay and use bourbon or vodka. If you want really great flavor let it steep for 6 mos. I usually make some in the summer to use for holiday baking and gifts.
There are variations where you can use herbs added but I haven't tried those yet. I might make the one that you add the cinnamon this year to use for mexican hot cocoa etc.

ETA: Here is a link for making your own but if you do a search you will get lots of different ideas: http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/diy-vanilla-extract.html

Last edited:
I have a wine bottle of vodka with vanilla beans marinating in my kitchen right now. It's probably been soaking for at least two months. I am looking forward to using it for holiday baking.
big_smile.png

If anyone hasn't tried this and would like to, go for it. It's so easy!
smile.png

Quote:
I have made homemade vanilla from beans lots of times. Never thought of using gin. I usually use vodka or rum, rum being my fav. I got 150 proof last time. WOW!
ep.gif
I usually let mine age approx 6 mos, though. Cindiloohoo, how many vanilla beans did you use to how much gin?
I give mine away as gifts. I save old bottles also. Then I cork them. Did you ever read the ingredients in the pure vanilla extract you get in the stores?!!
th.gif

Jen

Quote:
I got my vanilla beans on Ebay--Arizonavanillabean co, or something like that. I got 1/4 lb for $10. I have lots of beans!
BTW, King Arthur Flour says the Mexican beans are the best. That's what I got the last itme. I have gotten both the Madagascar and the Tahitian, but haven't gotten to try the Mexican yet for comparison.

Jen

Back
Top Bottom