Homemade vanilla extract. Can you use Gin? **PICS ADDED**

Quote:
Don't know what happen but thanks for posting it again. Mine is getting darker but not that dark yet. May be I did it wrong the first time.

By the way, I love your chicken tiles in the background - very cute.

Sandee

Sandee, I may have used more beans than you did. I think I may have about 8
ep.gif

in there.
As to the tiles, they were coasters that I had my DH take the cork backing off and used them sporadically as accent tiles. The "tile" in the right corner matches a puzzle I did and framed. I have a picture light over it. It's beautiful! I can send a pic of that if you'd like ;o)

Jen

Yes, please do I love seeing people wonderful creativity. I have added more beans too and it seems to be darkening a bit better now. Does yours still smell a lot like Vodka?

Sandee

Quote:
Sandee, I may have used more beans than you did. I think I may have about 8
ep.gif

in there.
As to the tiles, they were coasters that I had my DH take the cork backing off and used them sporadically as accent tiles. The "tile" in the right corner matches a puzzle I did and framed. I have a picture light over it. It's beautiful! I can send a pic of that if you'd like ;o)

Jen

Yes, please do I love seeing people wonderful creativity. I have added more beans too and it seems to be darkening a bit better now. Does yours still smell a lot like Vodka?

No, it doesn't, just real vanilla-y, but I used Rum (150 proof), not vodka. I think Cindiloohoo is the one who used the vodka.
Here is a pic of my puzzle

2757_threes_company_puzzle.jpg

Sandee

Quote:
OOHH, I LOVE New Braunfels! My Mom and sister live in Tx, and I have been there a few times.
love.gif
it!!

Quote:
I usually use the cheapest, but this time I thought I'd try the 150 proof. It's PARAMOUNT Virgin Island Rum, 151 Imported West Indies Rum. It has really darkened up, and it's only been about a month. I haven't tasted it yet, though. This wasn't real expensive, $11 I think, but don't quote me on that. Pennsylvania has "State Stores" where you buy all your hard liquor. We buy beer at "beer distributors". So it may be cheaper where you are located.

Jen

Here's a pic of the vanilla I started about 4 weeks ago.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/2757_homemade_vanilla.jpg

Jen

What a lovely bottle of Vanilla you have.
smile.png
Here is a picture of my bottle of vanilla. We have been working with this same bottle for almost 10 years!! It is getting low I know and changes color a bit when it gets to the bottom so time to break out the good vodka and refill.
tongue.png
We have occasionally added or replaced a bean or two along the way but we never let it go completely empty before refilling it. No vodka smell here, just pure real vanilla.
smile.png

49849_dsc03444.jpg

Quote:

No, it doesn't, just real vanilla-y, but I used Rum (150 proof), not vodka. I think Cindiloohoo is the one who used the vodka.
Here is a pic of my puzzle

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/2757_threes_company_puzzle.jpg

Sandee

woot.gif
I just love that puzzle, what a beautiful peice of art!
love.gif

Well folks it turned out just fine and super dark. I did wind up grtting some vodka and doing another batch just in case, but now I have 2 bottles and will be gifting some of it in goody baskets for Christmas!

I didn't try the gin, but I did make it with rum too. And I think its fabulous! Better then the store stuff and saved me a ton of $$$ for my baking.
big_smile.png

So you are just going to gift all that beautiful vanilla now? Why not just bake some cookies to give and keep the rest? LOL
lol.png

You know I had completely forgotten about getting some rum and making more. Thanks for indirect reminder. I just looked at mine this morning and it finally got darker. I tried boiling down some to see what would happen and if it concentrate the flavor - Nope - lost all the flavor. Not too much of a waste since it was only about 1 1/2 cups.

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom