Homemade vanilla extract. Can you use Gin? **PICS ADDED**

I got vanilla beans from ebay as well. They were not as long as some others that I got from a site called Organic Vanilla Company. But they have been out for some time so went through ebay and beans actually came from France. I tried this last year and have not been able to get it dark enough for my liking. So added more beans and have it brewing now. So in hte end it's been over a year.

The Gin sounds interesting - but Gin and I don't get along well and since I have a bunch of beans left over I might try the Rum. Any particular brand that people use or just the least expensive?

Sandee

Quote:
I usually use the cheapest, but this time I thought I'd try the 150 proof. It's PARAMOUNT Virgin Island Rum, 151 Imported West Indies Rum. It has really darkened up, and it's only been about a month. I haven't tasted it yet, though. This wasn't real expensive, $11 I think, but don't quote me on that. Pennsylvania has "State Stores" where you buy all your hard liquor. We buy beer at "beer distributors". So it may be cheaper where you are located.

Jen

Quote:
I usually use the cheapest, but this time I thought I'd try the 150 proof. It's PARAMOUNT Virgin Island Rum, 151 Imported West Indies Rum. It has really darkened up, and it's only been about a month. I haven't tasted it yet, though. This wasn't real expensive, $11 I think, but don't quote me on that. Pennsylvania has "State Stores" where you buy all your hard liquor. We buy beer at "beer distributors". So it may be cheaper where you are located.

Jen

Here's a pic of the vanilla I started about 4 weeks ago.

2757_homemade_vanilla.jpg

Jen

Quote:

Jen

Here's a pic of the vanilla I started about 4 weeks ago.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/2757_homemade_vanilla.jpg

Jen

Jen

The picture didn't come through - can you post again.

Thanks

Sandee

Quote:
I have made homemade vanilla from beans lots of times. Never thought of using gin. I usually use vodka or rum, rum being my fav. I got 150 proof last time. WOW!
ep.gif
I usually let mine age approx 6 mos, though. Cindiloohoo, how many vanilla beans did you use to how much gin?
I give mine away as gifts. I save old bottles also. Then I cork them. Did you ever read the ingredients in the pure vanilla extract you get in the stores?!!
th.gif

Jen

I have 750 ML of Gin(that's about 1 liter I think). I used 4 large beans in it. I'm not sure how much I should use, but decided on 4 for starters to see how it does. I got 4 more beans today to put in if I need to. It is getting pretty dark. The Gin is 94 proof. I hope it does good. That's $16 worth of vanilla beans and about $20 worth of Gin so if it flops...I'll be very sad
sad.png

Quote:
Don't know what happen but thanks for posting it again. Mine is getting darker but not that dark yet. May be I did it wrong the first time.

By the way, I love your chicken tiles in the background - very cute.

Sandee

I three got the vanilla beans off ebay that came via France. I think I got 30 beans for 99 cents and 7 or 8 dollars shipping. I used a half gallon of cheap vodka and added a few teaspoons of dark rum for sweetening and its been brewing since late april.

Quote:
Don't know what happen but thanks for posting it again. Mine is getting darker but not that dark yet. May be I did it wrong the first time.

By the way, I love your chicken tiles in the background - very cute.

Sandee

Sandee, I may have used more beans than you did. I think I may have about 8
ep.gif

in there.
As to the tiles, they were coasters that I had my DH take the cork backing off and used them sporadically as accent tiles. The "tile" in the right corner matches a puzzle I did and framed. I have a picture light over it. It's beautiful! I can send a pic of that if you'd like ;o)

Jen

Back
Top Bottom