Homemade vanilla extract. Can you use Gin? **PICS ADDED**

I emailed the vanilla bean company I use..they get their beans from Madagascar..here is the reply I received;

We have not received any beans since last January!! We have had problems with weather & shipping. We do have beans harvested & ready to ship in PNG and I am awaiting confirmation of their ship date. My husband is there sorting out our issues and we are hoping to get them resolved soon as it has affected our business greatly. We are hoping to get up and running before the end of the year and I assure you I will email you once that happens. We value our customers and are very sorry for this very long delay. I will email once we are sorted and hopefully you will give us a try again. I fully understand your frustration as we are extremely frustrated as well.
Thanks in advance for your further patience
Vicki organic-vanilla

Quote:
I buy my vanilla beans from Arizona vanilla company on Ebay. I have purchased from them several times. They are very reasonable, their beans are vacuum packed, and they carry Mexican, Tahitian, and Madagascar beans. I had read on KAF that the Mexican beans were the best. Ihave used the Tahitian and the Madagascar. Next time I will use the mexican and see if there is indeed a diff.

Jen

Quote:
I buy my vanilla beans from Arizona vanilla company on Ebay. I have purchased from them several times. They are very reasonable, their beans are vacuum packed, and they carry Mexican, Tahitian, and Madagascar beans. I had read on KAF that the Mexican beans were the best. Ihave used the Tahitian and the Madagascar. Next time I will use the mexican and see if there is indeed a diff.

Jen

Forgot to add that I got lots of organic saffron from my garden this year. I also grow organic garlic
droolin.gif

Jen

Quote:

Jen

Forgot to add that I got lots of organic saffron from my garden this year. I also grow organic garlic
droolin.gif

Jen

You grow saffron???? that real expensive stuff that have never had in my life?? Tell me more!!

Anybody know if you can use anise with vodca to make anise extract? I use a ton of it for the holidays and it's expensive. I bought anise seeds to add to the pizelle's last year and dad said it was like eating birdseed! So I have a whole jar of seeds. Maybe grind to a powder and put in vodca?

Quote:
droolin.gif

Jen

You grow saffron???? that real expensive stuff that have never had in my life?? Tell me more!!

Yes, I do. You get THREE threads from ONE bulb. That's why it's so expensive. I'm sure you could grow it in your area. It's an autumn blooming crocus. If you're interested, I can look into my source and get some for you. My source is a friend a couple of miles from me. They are not a company, just do it on the side. It's not too late to plant them, especuially where you live, I think. What zone are you in?

If you wanted some saffron in the meantime, I could get you some and send it to you. They sell it in the stores in my area.

Jen

Jen

Jen we live in southern Missouri. Zone 6 I believe? I would love to start some of my own. it is the stamen of the flower is that correct? wow, what an accomplishment that would be. LOL

cheri222, I would crush them abit and put them in a bottle of rum or vodka and give it a try. What do you have to lose...a bottle of booze? ha ha I would think it would work with most flavorings. I crushed some garlic cloves yesterday and placed them in a new bottle of EVOO and already it smells like an Italian restaurant when you open the bottle. I think I might have used too many cloves but I love garlic.
lol.png
I get these nice bottles of EVOO from a discount store run by the Amish here and then put my flavorings in them. Just started so just have two so far. One chipoltle and one garlic so far. Let your imagination run and you will have a good supply.

So how do you store your extra vanilla beans??

My Mother in Law just gave me a bag of beans and they're not hard like I thought they would be and they seem quite moist. I'm definitely NOT going to use all that she has given me yet so how do you suggest storing them? BTW, these are the right ones right? They are supposed to be bendy?? Moist?? Thanks!

Quote:
Store them in an airtight container. They are supposed to have pretty high moisture content, so those sound like good ones.

Back
Top Bottom