Why did I eat this?!?

Century Egg?
That's from China
That's from the Phillippines

I have never eaten it, but it sure looks like the reproductive tract of a chicken.

One time when I was in Japan my cousin's family took me to a yakitori shop. Now, you think you know what yakitori is (literally "fried bird"), but it is so much more than just skewered chicken breast. On the menu was cartiledge, gizzards, livers, neck, etc. When you live on a heavily populated island with limited resources, you don't waste anything that will keep you from starving.

Looks like the eggs and cleaned intestines of a processed hen.

Tell me I'm wrong, please tell me I'm wrong!

I can see eating the egg yolks you find when processing, I know that is somewhat common, but the intestines is for me a step too far!
Very close!
Looks like yolks & the reproductive tract. :oops:
"chicken ovary adobo"
Yup!!

Japanese Tamahimo, or fallopian tube, is a dish of grilled chicken fallopian tube and unlaid egg.

How was it?
Ugh.

The egg didn't really taste like anything. I hate to say it, but the " meat" was actually really good, until I found out what it was, then I had to drink a ton of sake to get it out of my mind. LOL!

Very close!

Yup!!

Japanese Tamahimo, or fallopian tube, is a dish of grilled chicken fallopian tube and unlaid egg.

Ugh.

The egg didn't really taste like anything. I hate to say it, but the " meat" was actually really good, until I found out what it was, then I had to drink a ton of sake to get it out of my mind. LOL!
When I was a kid, my dad had a Japanese guy come home with us as dad had been to Japan installing color photofinishing, so that guy came to the U.S. to visit.

He cooked for us. 🤢

There was stuff that looked similar (I recall I thought it looked like vomit) and a few other things but the only thing I would try was the clear noodles. They at least had no taste.

When I was a kid, my dad had a Japanese guy come home with us as dad had been to Japan installing color photofinishing, so that guy came to the U.S. to visit.

He cooked for us. 🤢

There was stuff that looked similar (I recall I thought it looked like vomit) and a few other things but the only thing I would try was the clear noodles. They at least had no taste.
I just made bentos a couple days ago for some guys who dropped off a bunch of awesome stuff for me that was leftover from a project. It was a mix of Hawaiian (spam musubi) Japanese (nigiri, tsukemono and tamagoyaki) and Korean (mayak eggs). Every culture has good food!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nabiki/albums/72157720053339474

Every culture also has foods that others generally won't eat too...

Very close!

Yup!!

Ugh.

That dish definitely calls for sake :lol:

Back
Top Bottom