Worming chickens with Zimecterin Gold

I grow pumpkins in my garden and use the seeds to deworm. Pumpkin seeds are a great deworming tool. Plus no threat of anything contaminating the eggs and meat. And many health benefits to eating the seeds. In the fall I harvest the seeds and freeze them. Once a week I feed the seeds to the birds and have had no trouble with tape worms. A few times a year I take some of their poops to the vet to check. But always clean.

If I understand it correctly, just because something isn't "labeled" or "approved" does not mean that the drugs will render the animal not usable for food, milk, or eggs. For example, if your pig, cow, or goat needs to be treated for tapeworms, your vet can prescribe praziquantel and then it is up to your veterinarian to come up with a withdrawal period.
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/ELDU-and-AMDUCA-FAQs.aspx

If I understand it correctly, just because something isn't "labeled" or "approved" does not mean that the drugs will render the animal not usable for food, milk, or eggs. For example, if your pig, cow, or goat needs to be treated for tapeworms, your vet can prescribe praziquantel and then it is up to your veterinarian to come up with a withdrawal period.
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/ELDU-and-AMDUCA-FAQs.aspx
But then it's based on some degree of 'guess work'...
....and eggs are far different from meat withdrawal, they hold onto drug longer due to the fat content.

They say that because there is no timeline known...it could in fact be stored in all ova 'forever'.
Maybe they should say something like "in my opinion the meat/eggs" should never be eaten, because there is nothing from the FDA or the AVAMA that backs up this claim.

Maybe they should say something like "in my opinion the meat/eggs" should never be eaten, because there is nothing from the FDA or the AVAMA that backs up this claim.
Yep, Everyone who suggests an 'off label' med should say that....but they don't.
But 'clean' food is no the main goal for most chicken keepers,
which is a damn shame In My Opinion,
because that's my goal and why I won't use meds.

In all honesty I hardly ever deworm my chickens :idunnoWhen I do its wazine . I use that because the little cap will replace the one on my three gallon waterers . :lau Also when I do I never see any visible worm sign.:idunnoBut loses are easily over come. I'm always hatching way to many chickens :confused: I got a dozen hens all broody right now . All sitting on a nest full of eggs . Perhaps some of you have read my philosophy , simple really .You own the chicken you make the decision :confused:

How do you administer the paste? I have 11 hens and am used to used liquid wormers. Do you put a small ball on bread? I think that will be time consuming and I will have to segregate my birds to make sure the more aggressive ones don't try to eat all of the bread balls. Do you put the paste in their mouth?

Back
Top Bottom