How do you Preserve or Clean Feathers that have been Plucked?

119bowhunter

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2016
My wife and I just harvested our first rooster, we plucked him. She wants to save some of the feathers we plucked to use for crafts. Can the plucked feathers just dry on their own, or do we need to do something to them? This is a first for both of us. Thanks in advance for the advice!

My wife and I just harvested our first rooster, we plucked him. She wants to save some of the feathers we plucked to use for crafts. Can the plucked feathers just dry on their own, or do we need to do something to them? This is a first for both of us. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Yes the feathers will be fine to use as is for crafts. Just put them all in plastic bags.
If you harvest anymore you can skin out the cape and saddle patch leaving the useful feathers on the skin. Once off the bird you can just lay them flat and let dry or you can use salt or borax to dry it. I just let them dry for a week or so depending on weather then place in a bag with a paper towel folded over in the skin side to absorb oils.
It’s easier than plucking and the feathers will retain more flexibility. Just pluck off the skin as needed.

When my children collected feathers that were loose in the yard, I insisted they put a bunch in a pillow case and wash them with a load of clothes. I guess I’ve been lucky in that we never had a case open and spill feathers.

My oldest daughter started putting feathers in the freezer “to kill any creepy-crawlies”. My husband and I are not fond of this habit. When the spare freezer in the garage gave up the ghost, this habit stopped. ;)

Whatever you decide to do, don’t leave your feather stash where mice can get to them. Nothing is more irritating than disposing of mouse bedding and finding all of your pretty feathers chewed and peed upon!

When my children collected feathers that were loose in the yard, I insisted they put a bunch in a pillow case and wash them with a load of clothes. I guess I’ve been lucky in that we never had a case open and spill feathers.

My oldest daughter started putting feathers in the freezer “to kill any creepy-crawlies”. My husband and I are not fond of this habit. When the spare freezer in the garage gave up the ghost, this habit stopped. ;)

Whatever you decide to do, don’t leave your feather stash where mice can get to them. Nothing is more irritating than disposing of mouse bedding and finding all of your pretty feathers chewed and peed upon!
Your daughter is right about putting them in the freezer but they don’t have to be stored in there. One cycle in the freezer and then in the microwave will kill most bugs. I don’t do it but I know it works.
You can store them with cedar chips, tobacco, mothballs etc also. I use all three.

Back
Top Bottom