Thank the Lord!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240410_001802522.jpg
    PXL_20240410_001802522.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240410_001741178.jpg
    PXL_20240410_001741178.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 14
I'm am literally about to cry. I'm so happy she laid the egg. It happened so quickly. She pushed a little, the egg came out, and she immediately fell asleep.
Praise the Lord! Thank you all so much for your help! She is sleeping soundly right now and her breathing is no longer labored.

It's very squishy. It's definitely soft shelled. I'm so happy she layed it. What might the yellow stuff be if the egg it unharmed? Is there still more of the possible second egg in there?

I'm confused because they have free choice microna poultry grit calcium and oyster shells in the run. So they have access to calcium. Do y'all have any advice on how to prevent this in the future?

It's very squishy. It's definitely soft shelled. I'm so happy she layed it. What might the yellow stuff be if the egg it unharmed? Is there still more of the possible second egg in there?

I'm confused because they have free choice microna poultry grit calcium and oyster shells in the run. So they have access to calcium. Do y'all have any advice on how to prevent this in the future?
I’m guessing this is the second egg and it pushed the first one out? As long as they have oyster shell available that’s all you can do. Many folks feed layer feed once all their girls are laying, but I prefer All Flock (plus oyster shells) because it’s higher protein.
They need grit as well but that’s for digesting food (chickens don’t have stomachs)

Leave her in the crate in the warm quiet place over night with the sugar water. You may add the Poultry Booster to it.

Leaving her in the crate will allow you to monitor her behavior and her poop. If there is no more egg for her to expel, her poop will be normal. If there is still a blockage, whether from another egg or pieces of an egg, her poop will be watery. If there is no more yellow in her poop or discharge from the vent, an antibiotic may not be necessary.

Unfortunately, if she needs an antibiotic, you will need to go through a vet to get one that will treat a reproductive infection such as amoxicillin. The only antibiotics still allowed over the counter are for respiratory diseases. All others now require a vet's prescription. Or you can use any left over people antibiotics.

Leave her in the crate in the warm quiet place over night with the sugar water. You may add the Poultry Booster to it.

Leaving her in the crate will allow you to monitor her behavior and her poop. If there is no more egg for her to expel, her poop will be normal. If there is still a blockage, whether from another egg or pieces of an egg, her poop will be watery. If there is no more yellow in her poop or discharge from the vent, an antibiotic may not be necessary.

Unfortunately, if she needs an antibiotic, you will need to go through a vet to get one that will treat a reproductive infection such as amoxicillin. The only antibiotics still allowed over the counter are for respiratory diseases. All others now require a vet's prescription. Or you can use any left over people antibiotics.
Yes! We'll definitely still keep her inside and monitor her. 😊

That's very useful to know about the poo to keep an eye on.

Thank you so much for the information! I would have had no clue about the antibiotics. You have no idea how much this helps! 😭

I'm very relieved to hear your hen is doing better! I had a hen pass from being egg bound a few months ago – and ever since I've been worried about the same thing happening to my other hens. A good nights rest should do her well after this stressful day. You're doing great!

Back
Top Bottom