@tlcmurphy is correct. Never inject fluids into the vent of poultry. They are not like horses and dogs and people. Fluids injected into the vent can carry bacteria up into the reproductive tract.

The patient should be placed in a crate on absorbent towels and put somewhere with dim lighting and very quiet. Give calcium citrate with D3. Also, give sugar water to head off shock and to revive her by elevating her glucose.

Then leave her alone. Yes, two eggs back to back are often involved in egg binding. If the yolk has broken inside her she will require an antibiotic to stop bacteria infection from the yolk.

Leave her in the dim, quiet, warm place over night with the sugar water to drink. She may also have her regular crumbles, as well. In the morning, give another calcium tablet if she hasn't passed the egg(s). You will know when she's finished passing the egg(s) when she starts behaving like she feels better.

@tlcmurphy is correct. Never inject fluids into the vent of poultry. They are not like horses and dogs and people. Fluids injected into the vent can carry bacteria up into the reproductive tract.

The patient should be placed in a crate on absorbent towels and put somewhere with dim lighting and very quiet. Give calcium citrate with D3. Also, give sugar water to head off shock and to revive her by elevating her glucose.

Then leave her alone. Yes, two eggs back to back are often involved in egg binding. If the yolk has broken inside her she will require an antibiotic to stop bacteria infection from the yolk.

Leave her in the dim, quiet, warm place over night with the sugar water to drink. She may also have her regular crumbles, as well. In the morning, give another calcium tablet if she hasn't passed the egg(s). You will know when she's finished passing the egg(s) when she starts behaving like she feels better.
Thank you! Azygous is the best we have on BYC, your little girl is in good hands with her advice 😊

Thank you for the advice! I won't inject any more fluids into her vent. I had found a thread on here recommending to do it, and in our frantic state to help her not die, we decided to try anything we could to help her. Thank you for warning me against it.

I will get her a comfortable place in a crate that matches what you have suggested. Sugar water is a wonderful idea that I wouldn't have thought of. Thank you!

There is a Tractor Supply about 45 min away from us that I can drive to in the morning. Would they have the right antibiotic to help her? Do you have a recommendation?

Again, thank you so much for your help!

I have all of these. Would any of these be something that would help her? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

Attachments

• PXL_20240410_001047810.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240410_001047810.PORTRAIT.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom