Automatic coop doors: I'd love your input

I'm having a new coop built for my ladies and was thinking of an automatic door. But, I'm seeing mixed reviews from doors made of plastic, to doors made with metal; doors that close on items they hit, to the point of a review that one decapitated a bird; doors with nice sensitive stops that won't crack an egg. All of this is leaving my head spinning. I live in CT near a large plot of wetlands; predators abound outside of my fenced yard. These include a pack of coyotes, fox, bob cats and coy wolves. I haven't seen any inside my fenced yard. I want a nice strong door for protection but I don't want one with a closure so strong it can seriously hurt my ladies. I'm new to BYC, new to chicken land and I'd really value any and all input. Thanks in advance.
I was gifted this door by my brother. He saw it at the local Bargain Bins and picked it up for $6 i think. I installed it this week cause we’re going away for 10 days and it’ll give my 14 hens some freedom to be in the fenced run all day. It has a pinch proof feature and it’s solar powered. The only drawback so far is that it hangs up when closing if there’s a bit of sand or scratch seed in the tracks. I’ve sprayed WD-40 on the door and it helps some. Thinking this was designed for chickens who wipe their feet at the door!? 😂
I'm having a new coop built for my ladies and was thinking of an automatic door. But, I'm seeing mixed reviews from doors made of plastic, to doors made with metal; doors that close on items they hit, to the point of a review that one decapitated a bird; doors with nice sensitive stops that won't crack an egg. All of this is leaving my head spinning. I live in CT near a large plot of wetlands; predators abound outside of my fenced yard. These include a pack of coyotes, fox, bob cats and coy wolves. I haven't seen any inside my fenced yard. I want a nice strong door for protection but I don't want one with a closure so strong it can seriously hurt my ladies. I'm new to BYC, new to chicken land and I'd really value any and all input. Thanks in advance.
See below the solar auto-door I was gifted recently. Pinch proof feature. Dawn/Dusk or program the open/close time. Very sensitive to grit in the track. Maybe part of the anti-pinch setting. Can be turned off but i haven’t. If it encounters sand in the track it stops closing and opens. After a minute it tries again. Not sure if it will be dependable while i’m on vacation. I’ll have to train my fourteen hens to wipe their feet at the door i guess!?😂

Attachments

• IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3697.jpeg
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 3
I have had an Omlet door. It has worked all through the hard winter here in Idaho. And it has been one year this month, It was worth the money. Here is where I got mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Omlet-Automa...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520399593072&th=1

I've had the Run Chicken for 2 years now and love it! As Perkolator said, the only downside is the manual door button that a racoon can access - and one DID in my case. My door is installed on the run attached to the coop, so I solved that issue by installing the door on the inside of the run (keeping the manual operation button protected when the door is closed). I like that setup better also because it is a little darker in the run, so the door closes a little earlier. I usually go out and close the door manually (unless I'm out of town), but the automatic opening in the morning is worth the money alone! Good luck!

I was gifted this door by my brother. He saw it at the local Bargain Bins and picked it up for $6 i think. I installed it this week cause we’re going away for 10 days and it’ll give my 14 hens some freedom to be in the fenced run all day. It has a pinch proof feature and it’s solar powered. The only drawback so far is that it hangs up when closing if there’s a bit of sand or scratch seed in the tracks. I’ve sprayed WD-40 on the door and it helps some. Thinking this was designed for chickens who wipe their feet at the door!? 😂

See below the solar auto-door I was gifted recently. Pinch proof feature. Dawn/Dusk or program the open/close time. Very sensitive to grit in the track. Maybe part of the anti-pinch setting. Can be turned off but i haven’t. If it encounters sand in the track it stops closing and opens. After a minute it tries again. Not sure if it will be dependable while i’m on vacation. I’ll have to train my fourteen hens to wipe their feet at the door i guess!?😂
Thanks for your input... Let me know how wiping their feet goes. Love it.

I've had the Run Chicken for 2 years now and love it! As Perkolator said, the only downside is the manual door button that a racoon can access - and one DID in my case. My door is installed on the run attached to the coop, so I solved that issue by installing the door on the inside of the run (keeping the manual operation button protected when the door is closed). I like that setup better also because it is a little darker in the run, so the door closes a little earlier. I usually go out and close the door manually (unless I'm out of town), but the automatic opening in the morning is worth the money alone! Good luck!
There's one I hadn't thought of; animals being smart enough to push the button to open the door. They are relentless. I guess once they learn the trick ---

We are in north Florida, built our coop 5 years ago & we're having the same thought process about a coop door . We have a ton of predators here as well .
Ended up building the coop & run with a nice size buried predator apron and used 1/4" hardware cloth to keep snakes out as well .
I put a manual "pop door" and in the beginning closed & opened at dusk & morning ...... as time went on we just left the door in the up position and the chickens put themselves to bed when they were ready , ALWAYS before dark.
Never have had an issue with predators.

We are in north Florida, built our coop 5 years ago & we're having the same thought process about a coop door . We have a ton of predators here as well .
Ended up building the coop & run with a nice size buried predator apron and used 1/4" hardware cloth to keep snakes out as well .
I put a manual "pop door" and in the beginning closed & opened at dusk & morning ...... as time went on we just left the door in the up position and the chickens put themselves to bed when they were ready , ALWAYS before dark.
Never have had an issue with predators.
My new run will have hardware cloth buried in the ground as well. Maybe I'm just being over cautious. I just want to do all I can to keep the ladies safe. They're good at going to bed ( :)). The other part of my equation is that I'm in CT and winter lows can get down to 0; so warmth is a factor as well. Thanks for your input - I really appreciate it.

I studied them for some time before I got a Ladies First. Install was easy, but I suspect that's true for most. When I tested the closing on an obstruction it worked great. Basically, when the door met resistance it raised, then lowered again. If the chicken,or hand, is still there it repeats the process. On the third try, if the obstruction is still there the door just stops. It's metal, but lightweight. I've seen demos where the door was blocked with an egg. The egg survived.
The first night I used it I had cockerel try to roost in the door. I knew something was wrong because the blinking green light to tell me all was well wasn't blinking. I found Stew roosting in the doorway, the door on his back but not pushing him down. He was fine. No harm, no fowl.
I haven't had it long but it's worked every time. I like the mechanics of it. The door is driven by a motor that turns a screw raising and lowering the door. It's also made in America. That was important to me. Price wise, I found some more expensive and some less (not counting the Chinese knockoffs). I think I made a good buy. Look on YouTube for some good demonstrations.

I read this is an issue for many automatic doors. I put my door opening about a foot off the floor. The birds step up on a cinder block to get out of the coop. Of course, there's a ramp going down to the run. I haven't had any problems with stuff in the tracks, but it's only been in for a couple months.

I just tested...I put my hand in the middle of the opening. The door had enough power to push my hand down. The door does move slowly, so that is good. I then put my hand on the ”floor”, but in the opening. I will say it hurt when it shut on it and it did reverse when it pushed back (resistance to the closing.). This is the line it made on my hand. View attachment 3811852
You are awesome! I love the BYC community. I was searching for something like this. Beta tester you are!

Back
Top Bottom