Best Automatic Door for Cold Weather and Predator Proofing

I just used an Arduino and made a board for it. Just follows a sunrise/sunset table for my region. It also brightens the lights over a period of time in the morning and slowly dims them in the evening. If I wanted to supplement light I have a variable for minimum hours of lighting that can be set. Since it dims over time, it wouldn't plunge them into darkness. Most people seem to add light early morning to avoid sudden darkness, but I like my rooster to crowe when I want to wake up. I decided to let their bodies do the natural cycle.

For the door I just used a cutting board and linear actuator. No safety, but in almost 3 years, no crushed birds. I made a prototype safety with a limit switch. Sensitivity is controlled by changing lead sinkers on the arm. My code gave the birds 3 tries to move or it would crush them. I believe in natural selection. Never used the safety in the coop. Currently to busy. I intended to refine it more and offer it to DIYers, but I have had other time demands the last few years.

I actually didn't know they made timers like you linked. I could be swayed into believing they might be a good option if they are reliable.

I really don't like too high tech of a coop. My home is the place I get away from technology generally. I didnt want to rely on any outside factors other than power. 2 years plus solid operation and never touched after install.
I didn't make any boards but I did use them. (oops I did make a board. LOL)

Arduino
20220328_195702.jpg

An I2C PWM Motor Shield can run up to 4 DC motors, or 2 Stepper motors, 4 Lights and many combinations. You can stack up to 32 of theses "32 stackable shields: that's 64 steppers or 128 DC motors!" These can do all that you mentioned. Like dimming lights (I have it set up to do that too.) Open and close the feeder (keep rodents out at night.) Water pump for circulation of water threw the pipes for cleaning (my video of water system).

20220328_195710.jpg

Expansion shield. Makes it easier to wire things like the time clock and the music board. Temp/humidity boards as well.

20220328_195717.jpg

LAN Board for internet.

20220328_195745.jpg

All mounted up on DIN rail Mounts

20220328_200001.jpg

Center : Similar stack I just took pix of.
Just left of center : Time clock Humidity/Temp boards and future location of Audio/music board.
Bottom right : Audio AMP
Just right of AMP : Audio/Music board currently in operation.
Lower left : Key Pads for Manual control of motors, lights, and music/sounds.
Top Center : LCD screens for information read back. Displays time, date, Julian date, temp, humidity, feed weight, and a few other things.

20220328_200010.jpg

As to the safety Feature I made one that will not crush any birds and will maintain the door closed at the most shut position, as I demo in this video. A simple Triple Pole Double Throw relay, A simple DH48J-11A 11 pin Contact/Sensor Signal Input Digital Counter Relay and the SONOFF 4CHPROR3 I mentioned.

In his video, when it first starts, I pan up to show the actuator. You will see MANY components like laser though beams and proximity sensors. For this to work you only need a regular normally closed limit switch on top and a normally open pressure switch on bottom. All the rest of that stuff is for other configurations since this is a test board.

As to the Astronomical Timers and their reliability, these have been on my test board for over a year and a half and they have not failed yet and work as they should.

20220328_203023.jpg

if you don't like all the tech then the Astronomical timers are the way to go. Easy to program (That's if you want them to open open earlier than sunrise and close later than sunset). And you can still put the Safety Feature in place.

Last edited:
I didn't make any boards but I did use them. (oops I did make a board. LOL)

Arduino
View attachment 3041642

An I2C PWM Motor Shield can run up to 4 DC motors, or 2 Stepper motors, 4 Lights and many combinations. You can stack up to 32 of theses "32 stackable shields: that's 64 steppers or 128 DC motors!" These can do all that you mentioned. Like dimming lights (I have it set up to do that too.) Open and close the feeder (keep rodents out at night.) Water pump for circulation of water threw the pipes for cleaning (my video of water system).

View attachment 3041645

Expansion shield. Makes it easier to wire things like the time clock and the music board. Temp/humidity boards as well.

View attachment 3041646

LAN Board for internet.

View attachment 3041649

All mounted up on DIN rail Mounts

View attachment 3041650

Center : Similar stack I just took pix of.
Just left of center : Time clock Humidity/Temp boards and future location of Audio/music board.
Bottom right : Audio AMP
Just right of AMP : Audio/Music board currently in operation.
Lower left : Key Pads for Manual control of motors, lights, and music/sounds.
Top Center : LCD screens for information read back. Displays time, date, Julian date, temp, humidity, feed weight, and a few other things.

View attachment 3041652

As to the safety Feature I made one that will not crush any birds and will maintain the door closed at the most shut position, as I demo in this video. A simple Triple Pole Double Throw relay, A simple DH48J-11A 11 pin Contact/Sensor Signal Input Digital Counter Relay and the SONOFF 4CHPROR3 I mentioned.

In his video, when it first starts, I pan up to show the actuator. You will see MANY components like laser though beams and proximity sensors. For this to work you only need a regular normally closed limit switch on top and a normally open pressure switch on top. All the rest of that stuff is for other configurations since this is a test board.

As to the Astronomical Timers and their reliability, these have been on my test board for over a year and a half and they have not failed yet and work as they should.

View attachment 3041679

if you don't like all the tech then the Astronomical timers are the way to go. Easy to program (That's if you want them to open open earlier than sunrise and close later than sunset). And you can still put the Safety Feature in place.

My system works well for me. The safety is functional if I care to install it. It's a switch, so obviously no bird needs to get crushed if I code it that way. I prefer to know the door will close no matter what, hence the 3 attempts before overriding. I can do anything I want with the input, that wasn't the point. Back when I built it, I had no run and only free ranged. An open door would have more than one dead bird with almost certainty.

The Astronomical timers are probably a good solution to making DIY simple. I'm sure you know a test bench and coop are different environments, but I have no reason to doubt them. Your wiring looks clean for off the shelf products.

Last edited:
I have to say that reading all of these posts has made me determined to borrow a neighbor's young adult child to install an automatic door for my new coop......My own sense of technology is limited to replacing a doorknob.

Don't worry about it too much. Automation in a home coup is mostly for entertainment. None of it is particularly useful except automation of the pop door like this thread is about. Lighting is handy if your coop is walk in or you want to supplement light for winter egg laying.

Last edited:
So @Lana_Marie, which door did you choose? I’ve had the JVR auto door for several years, but it doesn’t play well with sand. Hubby has had to replace the linear actuator because it eventually seizes up because of the grit and dust that the girls stir up when they dustbathe inside the coop. I’m going to install the Pullet Shut door on the outside wall of the coop once we refill the run with sand. (I don’t want to install it on the exterior if I’m only going to knock it off with the bucket on the tractor! 😂)

What is your run like? We have all the same predators as you do, so the 2” by 4” fencing will be replaced with .5 inch hardware cloth.

Here’s the set up right now.

58375798-ED53-4322-98DB-E03F6A74ACE3.jpeg

E390152E-0780-4E44-89A2-99565000CB3D.jpeg

A6BAF09C-59C2-4ECF-87E8-0FBA91E22A9B.jpeg

After a lot of research and thought, I am leaning towards going with the Automatic Electric Door by Coop Tender. It’s the only door I can find that has a working temperature rating down to -20F, and I think it looks very sturdy. The majority of reviews I’ve found online seem very positive.

Let me know if anyone has a different experience, and thanks again for the advice!
Hey Lana. I grew up in Calumet and most of May family is still in the copper country! I have the same question as you as I live 99 miles south now and have the same temps, but a little less snow in Westwood area. Let me know what you think of the new door as I'm looking too

So @Lana_Marie, which door did you choose? I’ve had the JVR auto door for several years, but it doesn’t play well with sand. Hubby has had to replace the linear actuator because it eventually seizes up because of the grit and dust that the girls stir up when they dustbathe inside the coop. I’m going to install the Pullet Shut door on the outside wall of the coop once we refill the run with sand. (I don’t want to install it on the exterior if I’m only going to knock it off with the bucket on the tractor! 😂)

What is your run like? We have all the same predators as you do, so the 2” by 4” fencing will be replaced with .5 inch hardware cloth.

Here’s the set up right now.

View attachment 3059043

View attachment 3059048

View attachment 3059050
You could always just use a jumbo pipe cleaner and wrap it around the tip of the push rod housing and then to push rod. Secure at tip with zip-tie This will act as a wiper and keeps the grit out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom