Best Automatic Door for Cold Weather and Predator Proofing

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I would be interested in the links you have about DIYing.

Thank you!
I know You are looking for a door that you can purchase and I understand why. However if you DIY you can get it done cheaper, Learn about the components and troubleshoot if anything goes wrong. At that point you can replace parts or fix the problem. With doors that you purchase, they often come a a single unit with a board you can't work on unless you are an electronics type person. If your were that person your won't be here. No insult intended.

With that said.

What cavemanrich said is spot on. Full discloser I have never owned a commercially produced chicken door. I have tho repair and replace some of these doors.

His top pick the ADOR1 and ones like seems to be the best type of door on the market. Easy to install and program. Many videos on installs and programing. The cons are that again, it is a "one piece" unit. Unrepairable it this get messed up with the controller. I have read that their customer support is good but also read it was bad. This also has the issue of being mounted on the outside. I am not fond of any door that is mounted on the outside. All exposed to the elements.

His next example is one of my favorite types of doors. Either as a commercially sold kit or if you put it together yourself. They use a Linear Actuator that controls the door up and down at a slow rate. The way they are made and operate makes it very secure with no need for any type of latch or lock. Easy to insulate from lower temps.

Here again is where I have issue with the commercially produced units. The controller. Again, if it goes bad you can't fix it. an expensive replacement will have to be ordered.

However, the use of timers (there is a wide variety of them out there that can be used) can be vary easy to install, cheap, low cost can make it so you have spares on hand, maintained and replace easy.

And then there is the use of the SONOFF 4CHPRO3. Here is a link to some of the info I have posted on the unit.

Points.

Pros
  1. Cost is not that bad, depending on where you order from. Got mine for $31.24 from aliexpress and that includes shipping.
  2. Easy to mount.
  3. Easy to wire.
  4. Has four channels, two for door and two extras for lights and feeder or whatever else.
  5. Programming is not hard but not easy either. However with use you can get the hang of it.
  6. Google and alexa compatible so voice commends and be used.
  7. Programable for Sunrise and Sunset times for your area.
  8. Radio Frequency (RF) remote control can be used. Operate it with a key fob.
  9. Operating Temperature(recommended): -10ºC-40ºC(14°F-104°F). Can be insulated for lower temps but if placed inside you really should not have problems.
  10. You got me with diagrams and willing to help anyway I can.
Cons.
  1. Needs wifi

Last I completely agree with cavmanrich about that swing out door. You mentioned bobcats and black bears. Well, Two Black Bears Kill Chicken, Destroy Chicken Coop In Bell Acres Borough, If they can flip entire coops over they can rip up that tin door with a tiny metal hinge rod. Those claws are like prybars not just "scredriver as a lever".

Well this got long winded. LOL. If you need any specifics I will give as much information that I can.

I don't agree. You second picture there is a Pullet Shut. I have one. It seals so tightly you are not going to open it with a scredriver as a lever. Good luck to a racoon trying to open it.

I would have much more confidence in a commercial product that has been tested than some DIY McGyver version.
I completely agree with cavmanrich about that swing out door. The OP mentioned bobcats and black bears. Well, Two Black Bears Kill Chicken, Destroy Chicken Coop In Bell Acres Borough, If they can flip entire coops over they can rip up that tin door with a tiny metal hinge rod. Those claws are like prybars not just "scredriver as a lever".

Also you are severely misrepresenting "DIY McGyver" McGyver's thing was not to make things that are permeant but to make a quick fix. So if you have specific doors that you think are "DIY McGyver version" please show them here and point out why you think they are, so we can all learn what not to do.

"I would have much more confidence in a commercial product that has been tested" While you may feel that way, maybe you should read all the reviews on those products that complain of it failing. "commercial product that has been tested" does not mean it will work every time. Again just look at the reviews. Last I would put way more faith in something I researched and put together myself than a mass produced, single unrepairable unit that costs a few hindered $. Especially when I can make it in under $90. (bargain hunting)

This also has the issue of being mounted on the outside.
Mine is mounted on outside,, but there is a remote sensor that I purchased $17 that allows complete unit to be mounted inside. My reason for the remote; My coop is in shade, and I have a dark tarp covering the area overhead. When I had a lighter (blue) tarp there before, the amount of light was much more. The operation coincided with dusk much better. With the heavier tarp,, (lasts longer) but also reduces amount of light.

Mine is mounted on outside,, but there is a remote sensor that I purchased $17 that allows complete unit to be mounted inside. My reason for the remote; My coop is in shade, and I have a dark tarp covering the area overhead. When I had a lighter (blue) tarp there before, the amount of light was much more. The operation coincided with dusk much better. With the heavier tarp,, (lasts longer) but also reduces amount of light.

Of all the commercially manufactured and sold Chicken Coop doors the ADOR1 & ADOR2, RUN-CHICKEN Model T50 and CHIK-N AUTOMATIC from Happy Henhouse doors are good designs for easy install and the design itself is very attractive. I am NOT endorsing any of these doors, just saying I like them for those reasons.

Like I said before the exterior install is what I don't like.
The low height placement is also a dislike for me. It would be nice if the controller was separate or detachable from the door itself, making it easier to program, troubleshoot and maintain.

It is nice that they make a remote sensor for the ADOR1 and a Push Button Remote and even a WiFi add on controller. All that is nice and for the people who rather not DIY or are not Electronically inclined, these are nice. For me the cost of such a door when, I myself, can build a stronger, cheaper custom door, is mind blowing.

In most cases I would recommend people get one with a linear actuator if they are in an area that has larger predators.

Last edited:
I have a DIY door and put a decent amount of effort and money into it. I think it's probably better than what's available, but it is relatively hard to do a good job DIY. I'm not up to speed on what's available, but I would certainly lean toward commercial options.

I have a DIY door and put a decent amount of effort and money into it. I think it's probably better than what's available, but it is relatively hard to do a good job DIY. I'm not up to speed on what's available, but I would certainly lean toward commercial options.
"but it is relatively hard to do a good job DIY" Explain?

What part of it is "hard" for you to do?

"but it is relatively hard to do a good job DIY" Explain?

What part of it is "hard" for you to do?
Depends on the goal. I wanted something that followed sunset and sunrise with programmable offset, which I believe some of the commercial offerings can do. The simple methods I have seen are lamp timers and photocells, but I don't consider either of these good solutions. The more complicated methods are microcontrollers and microcomputers, but what I have seen people do were a wiring mess and a coding jumble. Am I missing a simple solution? It can be done as I did it, but I wouldn't call it simple.

Last edited:
Depends on the goal. I wanted something that followed sunset and sunrise with programmable offset, which I believe some of the commercial offerings can do. The simple methods I have seen are lamp timers and photocells, but I don't consider either of these good solutions. The more complicated methods are microcontrollers and microcomputers, but what I have seen people do were a wiring mess and a coding jumble. Am I missing a simple solution? It can be done as I did it, but I wouldn't call it simple.
"It can be done as I did it, but I wouldn't call it simple."

Well what is it that you did?

As for:
"something that followed sunset and sunrise"
NON - "complicated methods are microcontrollers and microcomputers"

Option #1
If you have a good wifi signal I say use a SONOFF 4CHPROR3. It will do what you are looking for. Takes a little figuring out how to use the eWeLink app but you can get the hang of it.

SONOFF Distro Snap WAGO Squiggle Wiggle Wiggle.png

Option #2
Astronomical Programmable time switch BS26W. They will also do what you are looking for.

Two SPDT Timers LA THC15A Alt v5.png

If you are looking for a diagram, of these same setups using external limits switches, all you need to do is ask.

I just used an Arduino and made a board for it. Just follows a sunrise/sunset table for my region. It also brightens the lights over a period of time in the morning and slowly dims them in the evening. If I wanted to supplement light I have a variable for minimum hours of lighting that can be set. Since it dims over time, it wouldn't plunge them into darkness. Most people seem to add light early morning to avoid sudden darkness, but I like my rooster to crowe when I want to wake up. I decided to let their bodies do the natural cycle.

For the door I just used a cutting board and linear actuator. No safety, but in almost 3 years, no crushed birds. I made a prototype safety with a limit switch. Sensitivity is controlled by changing lead sinkers on the arm. My code gave the birds 3 tries to move or it would crush them. I believe in natural selection. Never used the safety in the coop. Currently to busy. I intended to refine it more and offer it to DIYers, but I have had other time demands the last few years.

I actually didn't know they made timers like you linked. I could be swayed into believing they might be a good option if they are reliable.

I really don't like too high tech of a coop. My home is the place I get away from technology generally. I didnt want to rely on any outside factors other than power. 2 years plus solid operation and never touched after install.

Attachments

• Coop Controller.jpg
    Coop Controller.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200609_142105.jpg
    IMG_20200609_142105.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220329_002305031.jpg
    PXL_20220329_002305031.jpg
    1,024 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220329_005809264.jpg
    PXL_20220329_005809264.jpg