Dog Breed suggestions??

What dog breed??

• Total voters
This is my personal experience not saying that there is a better or worse.
We had a male lab/aussie as our first pup, we got him on my birthday from a lady we knew who needed to rehome him. We went and picked him up i was a lot younger and this was our first dog as a family. He was super intelligent and easy to train, my dads family use to have standard show poodles so he knew how to train this pup. We also took him to a trainer to helo with the hunting training. We had him for about a year and a half before he got super aggressive toward my older sister(she hovered over him, and let him do whatever he wanted, after thousands spent on training he got worse towards her but was always so gentle towards everyone else. We rehomed him and he is on a farm with chickens and absolutely loves his chicken friends.
A year later we got a yellow lab(was deaf and blind so the breeder refunded us)
After we got a chocolate lab. He was so friendly and intelligent had a super high prey drive brought pheasant back like no other. After about a year the same thing started. Immediately we knew what was coming and we rehomed him to a long distant family member.

After almost 5 years of not owning a dog, i really wanted one especially after my older sister moved out. Thats when a family friend had a litter of goldens. We got Denver.
She has never shown aggression and is the sweetest pup. She was much easier to train than our labs though.

Then came Tucker a friend was in a bad situation and the breeder wouldnt take him back. They asked us to take him knowing we would take care of him.
Tucker was harder to train than Denver. He went through a reactive stage, he is ok around most people but doesn't trust others. I dont know his history or where he came from but i made sure i didnt give up. At over a year we are still working through it with people and other dogs. But he is getting so much better.

Males dogs have much more energy imo.
This is why its important to buy from a well know reputable breeder. They usally breed for temperment not color. Breed to breed standard not color. And they know what puppy is going to be best for your lifestyle, whether a male or female

Please use a breeder who does temperament testing, Puppy culture or Avidog are good examples of early puppy training and socialization, really look into what types of temperament testing are available so you'll know what you're talking about when contacting breeders. Also as I said, extensive DNA and health (OFA) testing. Color and sex is less important than temperament when selecting a dog for a purpose. Temperament is key, and is largely inherited, so an ethical breeder who breeds for temperament and hunting characteristics is the way I'd go if I were you. Most large breeds, you can wait a year or so and then neuter/spay after the growth plates close. As far as female/male, they both present different challenges, but your dog's personality is more important than it's sex for a purpose bred dog.

Back
Top Bottom