Aaand im done cleaning my fish tank. I had to leave some biofilm there for when I get my shrimp. Has anyone here ever done a filter-less tank?
I got tired of buying carbon filters so I just kept occasionally rinsing the one I had in a hanging filter so it was pretty much bio-filtration at that point. It kept the water moving and with occasional 10 to 15% water changes it seemed to be fine.

In the 75 G tank we had, there was a regular filter and 2 sponge filters. In the 30 g tank with swordtails and mollies it was just sponge filters and they thrived
First off,I love your profile pic. Secondly if I do get that other 30gal out of the garage I am thinking about getting a sponge filter for that tank.

A little bit about what's going on in my aquarium. All the chilly rasbora have died. Starting two months ago, I'd notice one less fish coming to get food every two weeks or so. Now the aquarium only has snails, plants, and a lot of algae

Thinking of turning it into a shrimp aquarium, although I've always been unsuccessful with shrimp. Considering Mexican Dwarf crayfish too. Have always been interested in them

A little bit about what's going on in my aquarium. All the chilly rasbora have died. Starting two months ago, I'd notice one less fish coming to get food every two weeks or so. Now the aquarium only has snails, plants, and a lot of algae

Thinking of turning it into a shrimp aquarium, although I've always been unsuccessful with shrimp. Considering Mexican Dwarf crayfish too. Have always been interested in them
We used to love going down to our stream and catching crayfish

I'm wondering if the algae build up was a signal to something going on like too much nitrate build up.

*also to follow an earlier post I made, water testing isn't a bad idea, but just wanted to add that I don't have hard water here. A friend down in KC had terrible water. I didn't have to worry about changing water or going a full 24/48 hrs of running a filter, whereas if my friend changed not even 5% of his water the fish were either dying or on the verge of it.

I'm wondering if the algae build up was a signal to something going on like too much nitrate build up.

*also to follow an earlier post I made, water testing isn't a bad idea, but just wanted to add that I don't have hard water here. A friend down in KC had terrible water. I didn't have to worry about changing water or going a full 24/48 hrs of running a filter, whereas if my friend changed not even 5% of his water the fish were either dying or on the verge of it.

I think it's part of the problem, for sure. I haven't been able to find the bodies and remove them, so there's bound to be some buildup of nitrate. It also stems from the fact that my timer broke, and my lighting schedule is all over the place. I've been testing the water, and the readings are fine. So I think it's both. Some time next week I'll probably do a cleanup

Back
Top Bottom