Should I give the littles some yogurt also? 🤔?
We've given plain organic Greek yogurt to hens & chicks alike. W/ chicks we give only a tiny taste the first couple times & gradually increase quantity on a plastic spoon only as a treat. Too messy to leave out yogurt in a bowl for chicks or hens. Some written articles advise not to give dairy to chickens while others advise ok. So, we found no harm giving occasional dairy treats -- yogurt, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, unsalted butter. Beware that cheeses have high sodium content & we never feed flavored, sweetened, herbed, or fruited dairy to animals.

Went to visit Teddy’s mama today and checked out her chooks - one in particular caught my eye and I can only assume it’s a Curly x Mr P baby.

She has normal feathers but she’s a splash and has feathers on her legs.

Ok well she could be from any one of the silkies I guess - isnt she a gem?!

View attachment 3821025View attachment 3821027View attachment 3821029

Hmmm maybe Henny Penny!
Are these called Satins (smooth-feathered Silkies) ? Buckaboo Farm in Santa Ana, Calif, sells Satins, Laced Satins, Showgirls, & Frizzled Silkies.
https://buckaboofarm.com/farm-blog/buckaboo-breeding-pens/

I find that odd really. Here silkies lay white eggs. The eggs that Branch and his siblings hatched from where white as were the ones I had shipped here last year. Chiquita laid white eggs and now Poppet. I am breaking out the postal scare in a bit, that egg is small, but not tiny. If it is in the range I think it is, she could be up to hatching size for a silkie in about 2 weeks really. It was also a shock to find it. I had honestly given up and came to the conclusion she was just yard eye candy and never going to lay. I had made peace with that conclusion. Now, babies, there will be babies this year. Operation silkie bonanza can go into full swing in a couple weeks.
Most of our Silkie girls over the years layed off-white light cream eggs. One girl layed almost pinkish cream. However in our latest group of 3 new Silkie pullets our dark partridge "Mika" lays pinkish brown eggs. The pigment in eggs fades as the season progresses for laying hens so we're wondering if Mika's eggs will progressively fade also?!
MIKA 1st EGG 3 COLOR LAYED  05-28-2024.jpg

MIKA 19  03-24-2024.jpg

MIKA 16  03-24-2024.jpg

It is kind of disgusting to watch when they do that.
I am sure she will be OK.
Mine ate a whole nest of baby mice once while I looked on in horror!
Splotch and Pastel killed an adult mouse and I had to tug it out of their beaks… it was disgusting. I was literally playing tug-of-war with two chickens with a dead mouse.

I honestly have no idea why. Both of them have been just fine with everyone up until about a week and half ago. The only thing I can think of is age. I have noticed since hatch with all the English Orps they are very very slow to mature. Perhaps he is just now truly hitting that teenage jerk phase.

I hold hands with the kids when they are going into the chickens territory. After Oreo I was taking no chances and hoped to eliminate any running away or chasing from starting and it was working well.

Then today he went after her while I was holding her hand. I grabbed a tote to block her from him and he flew up and hit that instead of her. No one was injured then he stared her down then walked away.

I am heartbroken, she loves that rooster and doesn’t understand why he is being mean to her. 😔
I have almost no experience of roosters around small children. My first reaction would be to ask if Lore has difficulties recently getting the hen's attentions, and if it's in any ways possible he finds you and your daughter a competition in that regard. And if his overall attitude and status in the flock has changed.

If that makes any sense, maybe you can try to explain that to your daughter ? That now he is becoming an adult he wants the hens to love him only..he is jealous.

Since you said you can't think of another reason, I suppose there was nothing unusual, like how she was dressed, or how you both approached them ?

It's maybe not a never again thing. A few years and some more inches for your children could make a huge difference.

:goodpost:seriously, I really do not wanna know the bacterial load on a chickens beak, they peck everyyyythinnngggg! Just like toddlers wanting to touch everything wherever they go and then put 90% of what they touch right in their mouths 👄 🤦‍♀️
You all should have seen the state of princesses beak nostrils along with almost everywhere else this morning.

YUK

If I want to smother myself in sticky egg and straw then I should be able too.
Call uncle Bob and tell him to link me up to beakbook :duc Right this minute
View attachment 3852026
:rantThat darned human should be kept out of my garden. Just look what she's done to me.
I'm going on beakbook to rally up a chickens army to put her is this sink
View attachment 3852025
Oh, poor Princess. 😂

Back
Top Bottom