I haven't paid any taxes in a while, I think.
IMG_E3151.JPG

Stormy, from last winter. She wanted to show off her wattles for Wattle Wednesday.

I pray your lady is ok too!

In our Silkie's case from the time she layed her 1st egg as a pullet she was always abnormally fidgety and agitated when she needed to lay. Then once she layed the egg she was fine and happy until the next egg needed laying. This went on for years every egg she layed. She got so agitated that she scratched so hard in the nestboxes that she tore off a few toenails and lost a couple toes. Blood everywhere. I rushed this girl to the vet more times than I took my own children to the pediatrician!
]
Many times we brought her into the house to observe her cuz sometimes she seemed so ill. When she was not laying or going hormone broody she was the sweetest, smartest, friendliest little tot in the flock. Kids were not afraid to hold her she was so tame.
View attachment 3869938

It killed us to put her down but her last rubbery egg was stuck outside her vent and still attached to the bleeding ovary. She would have painfully bled to death so my vet put her down.

"MINI" -- magnify the pic to see missing toes/toenails
View attachment 3869928
I'm sorry for your loss. She was beautiful.

I'm sorry you did not get the help you needed. This thread is still going 5 years later because I want to tell the stories of my chickens. It will likely still be going 5 years from now. I could be on here alone at that point, who knows.

At first it was just about my chickens but now it has morphed into a social thread where a group of like minded people talk about their chickens. Why my thread became everyone's hang out spot I could not tell you. You'd have to ask them. Anyone want to share why they ended up here?
It’s the chickens. And the people of course!

It appears that when Glynda got off the nest for her morning snack, Phyllis moved in. When Glynda came back, Phyllis would not let her back on the nest. This was the outcome.

View attachment 3873537

So I go out and rearrange things, getting pecked again for good measure.

Phyllis is showing no broody traits. She is not puffing up. She is not tut tutting. When I open the lid to the nest box, she does not hunker down and peck at me, rather, like someone who knows she is doing wrong she gets up and runs (as best she can) away.

This has to be dominance of some kind. She is not broody.
I hope it doesn't mean that she doesn't want Glynda to hatch. It may be tough for the chicks. Though seeing how Glynda takes on Eowyn, I suppose she will be able to defend them.
Anyone want to share why they ended up here?
I arrived here from Shad's thread. It felt like a bunch of old friends sharing stories about chickens and trying to help each other out.
I feel your kindness permeates the thread and that every one here is very gentle and supportive. I appreciate that although there are very different style of chicken keeping, folks are tolerant and always try to give good advice.
Like many others I'm glad when the chat stays mostly focused on chickens and other pets, which it usually does.
I don't always have the time and mind availability to participate as much as I'd like but I love this thread and I feel like I "know" and have grown a form of attachment to your chickens and those of some of the most active participants !

Tax from the past for being so long...baby Gaston, 7 july 2022.
IMG_20220707_093141.jpg

I hope it doesn't mean that she doesn't want Glynda to hatch. It may be tough for the chicks. Though seeing how Glynda takes on Eowyn, I suppose she will be able to defend them.

I arrived here from Shad's thread. It felt like a bunch of old friends sharing stories about chickens and trying to help each other out.
I feel your kindness permeates the thread and that every one here is very gentle and supportive. I appreciate that although there are very different style of chicken keeping, folks are tolerant and always try to give good advice.
Like many others I'm glad when the chat stays mostly focused on chickens and other pets, which it usually does.
I don't always have the time and mind availability to participate as much as I'd like but I love this thread and I feel like I "know" and have grown a form of attachment to your chickens and those of some of the most active participants !

Tax from the past for being so long...baby Gaston, 7 july 2022.
View attachment 3873676
Oh baby Gaston! How adorable! 🥰

Thanks for digging this one out of the archive.

Back
Top Bottom