Lethargic stumbling rooster PLEASE Help!!

It's not frostbite, my roos norm have a purplish comb sometimes...
Is he eating enough? Check his spleen, is it sharp?
Check his feet, if he's hut or in pain, they will close they're eyes for moments at a time. Check his crop too for anything unusual.

Take care of the mites! Fastest way to do it is just give him a warm bath, and B careful not to get his eyes or beak or notrils.
Start at the head around his face and the neck and than his entire body , you need to be sure you got nearly all the mites... Than dry him throughly, I use a hair dryer, while offering him something nutritional with added eltrolyes in his water, and dust him after the he's dry, carful not to get the place too dusty.
You also might keep him inside, to keep a better eye on him a and he won't get reinfected with mites, do give him access to a good mash, and while you could hand feed him bird formula when you can.

Keep posting and we'll try to help with any questions!
And btw, he's a gorgeous roo!
Thank you - I think he’s the gorgeous too!
Thank you for the help.
He did lay down and has closed his eyes like you mentioned - I thought he was either in pain or was going to just lay down and die… 😢 but he opened his eyes and has moved - but he must be in pain. There isn’t anything visibly wrong, but I’m checking what I can- but I don’t think I know how to check the spleen 😬- I may see if a quick search can help with that.
When you say dust him- are you meaning with DE?
I’ve given chickens baths before with Epsom salt - what do I put in the water for him? Is that how I apply Ivermectin?

Thank you - I think he’s the gorgeous too!
Thank you for the help.
He did lay down and has closed his eyes like you mentioned - I thought he was either in pain or was going to just lay down and die… 😢 but he opened his eyes and has moved - but he must be in pain. There isn’t anything visibly wrong, but I’m checking what I can- but I don’t think I know how to check the spleen 😬- I may see if a quick search can help with that.
When you say dust him- are you meaning with DE?
I’ve given chickens baths before with Epsom salt - what do I put in the water for him? Is that how I apply Ivermectin?
Dust him with permethrine poultry dust. Don't give him a bath, he's too weak.

What's his normal diet?
He gets chick feed bc it’s not as high in calcium that the hens need. He gets shells, soldier fly worms, scratch, whatever bugs he finds and random kitchen scraps- I always check first to make sure they can have what we give them. Recently- I have them all a celery and egg shell mash mixture - maybe about 2 weeks ago. That was the first time we gave them celery. Should I switch his feed to what the hens get? They get a layer hen feed - it’s from kalmbeck- spelling 😬

He gets chick feed bc it’s not as high in calcium that the hens need. He gets shells, soldier fly worms, scratch, whatever bugs he finds and random kitchen scraps- I always check first to make sure they can have what we give them. Recently- I have them all a celery and egg shell mash mixture - maybe about 2 weeks ago. That was the first time we gave them celery. Should I switch his feed to what the hens get? They get a layer hen feed - it’s from kalmbeck- spelling 😬
Cut out all treats, & why are you giving him shells?

Hens, & roosters can be fed one diet, Chick feed, Flock Raiser, or All Flock for all genders, & ages. The only thing that would have to be supplemented is calcium(Oyster Shells)which can be fed in a separate container, or feeder for the hens to regulate their calcium intake.

Cut out all treats, & why are you giving him shells?

Hens, & roosters can be fed one diet, Chick feed, Flock Raiser, or All Flock for all genders, & ages. The only thing that would have to be supplemented is calcium(Oyster Shells)which can be fed in a separate container, or feeder for the hens to regulate their calcium intake.
He is separate from the hens so we have the ability to give separate food. They can see each other everywhere in the run, chunnels, chicken tractors, coop and the hens can get to him, but he can’t get to them. The shells are given bc my daughter said it needs to be fair and if the hens wants some when they get over to him then they will have some. I didn’t think it would hurt if she wanted to put shells in there for him.
I forgot to mention- the hens have 2 waters- one with ACV and the other with rooster booster. Ollie, has one watered but it when it gets changed it is alternates with ACV and Rooster booster and plain water.

He is separate from the hens so we have the ability to give separate food. They can see each other everywhere in the run, chunnels, chicken tractors, coop and the hens can get to him, but he can’t get to them. The shells are given bc my daughter said it needs to be fair and if the hens wants some when they get over to him then they will have some. I didn’t think it would hurt if she wanted to put shells in there for him.
I forgot to mention- the hens have 2 waters- one with ACV and the other with rooster booster. Ollie, has one watered but it when it gets changed it is alternates with ACV and Rooster booster and plain water.
Roosters don't need the extra calcium from shells really. But if they really think they need it, they'll actually eat alittle bit. But it's hardly ever.

Feed him only his feed, no extras.

There's no need to use separate feed, for different genders as long as everyone isn't fed Layer Feed(Which isn't good for none high Production hens either).

Roosters don't need the extra calcium from shells really. But if they really think they need it, they'll actually eat alittle bit. But it's hardly ever.

Feed him only his feed, no extras.

There's no need to use separate feed, for different genders as long as everyone isn't fed Layer Feed(Which isn't good for none high Production hens either).
No extras just while he’s sick/down right??

Back
Top Bottom