What did you do in the garden today?

What is this weed? I’m in Ohio, and I haven’t found it in the OSU weed database…but it’s not the easiest/quickest to search either. Two views below. Roots can be single tap root or two. Appears to be yellowish roots. They can be quite deep.

0240ECA9-C0F9-49CE-8288-E34E0CCDDB11.jpeg
E008DA28-E8C2-4AA9-8829-9B698DCC5917.jpeg

What is this weed? I’m in Ohio, and I haven’t found it in the OSU weed database…but it’s not the easiest/quickest to search either. Two views below. Roots can be single tap root or two. Appears to be yellowish roots. They can be quite deep.

View attachment 3062898View attachment 3062899
Dock. Some kind of dock. Good feed when young, toxic when older in large quantities. Reseeds like you would not believe and the taproots. Suck.

Another good shade plant is “Lenten Rose” which is the Hellebore plant. Blooms when it’s cold, often during lent. Here are my 3. The only full sun they receive is just a little bit in the evening.
We had those at the house in Portland. They were so beautiful, they looked like something from a painting. Elegant.

We've got one white leghorn chick so far and I'm afraid the rest of the eggs are not going to hatch. :( I have a shopping trip in town tomorrow so if none of the others hatch I'll pick up a couple chicks at Farr's or Cascade so Schrodinger won't be alone.

One last weed whacking and I run out of string when I'm 95% done, so I pulled up the rest of the plants. It's some grass (oat?) that grows 5' tall and was blocking the view of a few fruit trees down the hill. Pomegranate has a ton of flowers. Loquats are almost ripe and the cherry tree has two cherries on it this year, first crop.

One last weed whacking and I run out of string when I'm 95% done, so I pulled up the rest of the plants. It's some grass (oat?) that grows 5' tall and was blocking the view of a few fruit trees down the hill. Pomegranate has a ton of flowers. Loquats are almost ripe and the cherry tree has two cherries on it this year, first crop.
Pomegranate would be the tree I would want if weather was not in play…❤️

I planted 18 potatoes. 4 were from my seed balls that I planted last year. Some Kennebec and Elba for the rest.

While I was digging the holes, I dug up 4 taters that I somehow missed last fall. I cooked them up in the air fryer, and they are delicious! Dinner was all home grown: spinach and kale out of the greenhouse, those taters, and eggs. I forgot to get some garlic to add to it, but fortunately I have enough taters and greens left to do it again for lunch or dinner tomorrow, and remember the garlic.

Sure wish the wind would die down... it's making me nervous.

Back
Top Bottom