What did you do in the garden today?

Ooh, another nice thread to follow on BYC. I'm only getting back into veggies a few years after moving into our home, and I haven't had a big spot to play with since I was a kid. The only place to start my veggies and get enough sun for the greedy peppers and tomatoes was on the far side of the driveway, a ways from the house. We have hoses that can reach when strung together, but they have to wind through our million perennials which is dicey. So today, with no rain in sight, I had to lug down the watering cans to give them a drink. I'm trying out Square Foot Gardening and the mix drains nicely but does have to be watched for drying.
I like the tip posted above about filling jugs with holes for a drip system. I hadn't considered that! I wonder how big the holes should be? As the days heat up lugging those cans is going to get a lot more tiresome. Too bad the prior owners didn't run water to the ends of the yard. But then, they never planted a thing so I guess they didn't need to!
I feel your pain! We have planted several plants and trees around the property. I take the 7.5 gallon aquatainers around in the tractor bucket to water the ones that the sprinklers don't reach. I'm glad you asked that question, I wondered the same thing!

I feel your pain! We have planted several plants and trees around the property. I take the 7.5 gallon aquatainers around in the tractor bucket to water the ones that the sprinklers don't reach. I'm glad you asked that question, I wondered the same thing!
Well now we're all waiting with baited breath!
caf.gif

I watered my acre garden, thank goodness for drip irrigation!! Staked up cukes, cantaloupe, tomatoes and peppers. Sprayed some dish soap last night, so I rinsed that off the okra and lettuce this morning. Harvested mint, bell pepper, anaheim, and jalos. Romas for canning and finished processing all my onions and potatoes.
Feeling good from the work and will be tasting some fresh salsa this evening with an ice cold beer!!!
I love working in the garden....I get a "coming home" feeling or "being taken back to younger days and times". tickles my neck...

new here...but what i do :

husband ran a pump from the pond to a hose that i can use in the garden. pressure isnt much but it was better than what i was doing.

milk jugs filled with water for the new fruit trees in the back 40. husband takes the 4 wheeler.

5 gallon buckets filled up and walked in the garden cart to the rest. i am missing some water by the time i get there, but it is better than nothing.

I use gallon jugs with a small hole punched in the bottom, you would also want to punch small hole
in the top.

I tried a milk bottle with holes but kept plugging the holes with mud so I went to a bottle with an airline about 1in from the bottom, and cracking the cap alittle allows the water to drip out nice and slow, and the inch of water in the jug prevents the jug from blowing away.

Lucky you! I live about a mile from one of those power company right-of-ways that goes for hundreds of miles, and it is full of blackberrie brambles. Wild low bush blueberries too.

Come to think of it, this weekend I'm gonna take a basket and see if I can get some blackberries.

Have fun making jam. Sure sign it's summer.
I found just up the way from me a blackberry bramble!

Me and my daughter went up there this morning and picked up 2.3 Lb's of blackberries and then we promptly made us some JAM!

MMMMMMmmmmmm yyyummmyy!!

My mom already stole a jar and the kids already opened a jar. I had to 'hide' the other 4 jars LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom