What did you do in the garden today?

Got some new seeds for the garden today, Oregon Sugar Pod II Peas from Ed Hume seeds. They're a type of snow pea.

I have only 20 or 30 pea seeds left from last year, and figured it would be a good idea to plant fresh seeds in the ground instead of the old ones.

And it looks like the rain has stopped, so I might be able to get my hands dirty today.

Last edited:
We also preserve a lot of peppers, onions, garlic and green tomatoes with salt and olive oil, I do those in Mason jars and they get stored in the outside fridge for quite a while. We eat them a lot so they don't last a year.

oooo, recipes please?
Ooooo.... yes, please?? That sounds like something I'd eat with a spoon, right there.

Stinky breath, who cares.

Today, I cut the white stem off my Pak Choi and used the green part for my teriyaki hamburger. I chopped and salted the stem and mixed it with some fresh salted prism kale. I am not sure how the raw salted vegetables will turn out, but I can confirm that the fresh Pak Choy on my teriyaki hamburger taste good with the mayo, tomato, pickles, and onion slices. :love

No. I've had breathing issues since 2018. It comes and goes. And some flares are worse than others. No one can figure it out. I don't smoke, but an allergist said it looks like COPD. He also did blood work and said I've had pneumonia over 18 times given the different antibodies in my blood. I didn't know they could tell that, but it was kinda neat that he could. It explained all the "croup" I had as a kid.

It's not Asthma or allergies though. But every PC wants to call it that and send me home with an inhaler and Claritin - when I tell them flat out they don't work. Seems no doctor wants to out in the time to figure it out, so I just live life as fully as I can.

In the meantime, I stay home to limit my exposure to sick people and dive into gardening and chickens.
Claritin definitely doesn't work. I was given that to combat allergies and it did nothing to help. My Dr decided I needed a kenalog shot for allergies and no results. I don't know what to try with the exception of maybe a tablespoon of raw honey daily.

I am so excited for you! It was so exciting when I was finally getting chickens, the coop and run planning was the perfect appetizer. The maran eggs are so pretty! And you reminded me, I need to grow leeks this year.

HUGS! I missed you too! It's so nice to see so many familiar posters still here. :) And I'm happy to be back, I was doing so little gardening for a while that I felt like a poser, I spent a ton of time fishing believe it or not. And the weather was terrible for my beloved tomatoes, I canned nearly everything including some pretty old frozen ones just to restock my sauce and salsa stores. I took a bunch of food preservation classes and learned to make kombucha. We love the stuff so I keep a 2 gallon container working all the time now.
I ordered some small little glue traps in the sha
I haven't been on BYC much, if at all for a while now because I just didn't really have anything to contribute.

This news should fit here quite well, though:
WE ARE FINALLY GETTING CHICKENS THIS YEAR!!!! We are working on the chicken coop, and I placed my chicks order last night!!!!!!!! I got Cream Legbars, Black Copper Marans (one will be a rooster), and Lavender Orpingtons! I'm just so excited that I woke up about an hour and ten minutes before my alarm and couldn't fall back to sleep because I was thinking about the coop and run and chicks! We have 3 weeks before the chicks will arrive, and are planning on making a really good chunk of progress on the coop today! It has been about 4 years since I decided I wanted chickens, but they kept getting pushed aside for more important expenses, so, if you can't tell, I AM SUPER EXCITED!!! :wee :celebrate :jumpy :bun

In gardening, I have leeks, cabbages, all of my peppers, rosemary, and artichokes started inside. Almost all of the peppers have come up, and half of the leeks are up while half were started from seed yesterday. I've been using SeedTime to help with the scheduling of everything, and that was SUPER helpful. I visited my aunt and uncle in FL the other month, and tried to raise some cuttings from their rosemary plant, but those died. So I had to buy seeds, and I'm super excited for those! Tons of fungus gnats in the grow room, but I'm not terribly certain what to do about it. I saw a small spider come out of one of the pots and cheered it on, but that's about all I can do while starting seeds that need moist soil... unless anyone has any suggestions?

Anywho, this post is really long now, so I'll sign off. I hope everyone is doing well and excited/prepared for this gardening season!🪴☘️
I bought some butterfly shaped glue traps at Walmart website. They work great. I have some pothos plants and don't like seeing bugs. Bonus is they're cute

Last spring I built a small greenhouse/cold frame into the railings of my front port. The plastic film was ripping apart from UV damage, so I took most of it apart.

I'm left with a large shelf, around 2x3 feet. I'm thinking about placing a large storage container there, fill it with soil and plant something. Maybe I'll set up a front porch herb garden.

Last spring I built a small greenhouse/cold frame into the railings of my front port. The plastic film was ripping apart from UV damage, so I took most of it apart.

I'm left with a large shelf, around 2x3 feet. I'm thinking about placing a large storage container there, fill it with soil and plant something. Maybe I'll set up a front porch herb garden.
Sounds like a winner. I have a large porch but it doesn't get enough sun. I think they should have used clear plastic like the green house uses to cover it.

Claritin definitely doesn't work. I was given that to combat allergies and it did nothing to help. My Dr decided I needed a kenalog shot for allergies and no results. I don't know what to try with the exception of maybe a tablespoon of raw honey daily.
You're not alone. Claritin doesn't work for me, either. Nor Allegra, nor Zyrtec. Bah.

Love my Navage. Once a day, no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom