Purchased and Hatched Bresse: Boy What a pain! And Leg Issue Q:

Jynuine

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Gaston, OR
Hi! So, I am invested in raising Bresse as my dual-purpose breed. I am aware of some of the issues that can arise with Bresse including genetic differences due to inbreeding and lack of fresh genetic material.
I spent a good $200 on 6 Bresse from Greenfire farms ($29 a chick with 6 chick min and $30 S&H) and they all got here healthy and ravenous and then I purchased some eggs on eBay for $50 which I got into the incubator asap when they came in.

Everywhere I was reading people frustrated with hatching Bresse and the successful ones swore by the dry incubation method. So, that is what I did for the most part until lockdown. I guess this has to do with the fact Bresse typically lay large eggs- but these eggs were normalish in size.
7 made it.

The day before yesterday was H-Day and one started piping and hatching last night (um... midnight- YIKES!) Another had a bit of a crack but I wasn't hearing anything this morning and the first chick had barely hatched and was GLUEY. I've never dealt with gluey stiff eggs before.

By mid morning I decided these guys probably needed help- they all had huge air pockets, too. Two did not make it- the insides were REALLY full of thick membrane and veins and one had a large amount of sticky egg white still- literally super glue. Before all is said and done, I've had to wash the guys who made it in warm water and put them back in the incubator to dry- they were weak and one died in the brooder just after I transferred them out.
I have 3 left and one seems to have a leg issue.

I assume it was the one who was malpositioned with one leg coming out first.

But her legs are tucked up under her and she isn't extending them. Im not really sure what to do or if she just needs electrolytes. I gave them all some save-a-chick but Im really concerned about these guys now.

I have no clue if this is from inbreeding or the way they were shipped from Florida to Oregon, or the dry incubation method or WHAT.

Attachments

• 110286161_610161579918478_8514790916148432192_n.jpg
    110286161_610161579918478_8514790916148432192_n.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Shipping really causes a lot of problems & old eggs. Also incubator temperatures that are too high.
I was so excited about Bresse and sold my husband on them. Now I'm not impressed as the hens are the size of Leghorns even at 9 months old. 😡

I had a chick hatch out that way after struggling with low humidity during incubation. Tried to give it a chance but unfortunately it did not end well. Never heard of dry incubation. I had such a terrible experience with low humidity in the incubator with that hatch (many chicks superglued in shell, leg deformities, high mortality, etc) that I don't think I'd ever try it. Best of luck but be prepared that you may need to cull that baby.

Im hoping I wont have to since we would have only 2 chicks left! I mean better than 1 but a bad investment for $50.
I did reach out to poultry podiatry and they said this could be a slipped Achilles Tendon in her hock joint. Im hoping there is more I can do! She looks like happy feet from the movie so Im calling her that lol! But I cannot straighten out either of her legs at the joint. And they’re both swollen.
9E55E385-8C88-41BF-B9F7-3DE8C056D2DD.jpeg

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry#chick_crooked_leg

Last edited:
Just a suggestion if you ever venture to shipped eggs again: Let them "rest" for 24 hrs before putting them in the incubator. Hopefully one day you'll have the pleasure of giving your eggs to a broody to hatch ... so much easier. =)

And - you might be able to offer her a little physical therapy by playing on a chick's instinct to push their backs up into a nice warm spot like they would under a hen. Make sure she's on a non-slip surface and gently cup your hand up over her back, making contact with her back (making sure it's warm!) - then gradually raise your hand and see if she'll try to push up into it to maintain contact.

So happy feet wasn’t so happy and not only were her joints large and red but she was getting lethargic even with my vitamins and electrolytes. I decided the best thing to do was humanely euthanize her. Since I had only two left I got 2 leghorn chicks to keep them company. I’m sad but happy she won’t be suffering.

So happy feet wasn’t so happy and not only were her joints large and red but she was getting lethargic even with my vitamins and electrolytes. I decided the best thing to do was humanely euthanize her. Since I had only two left I got 2 leghorn chicks to keep them company. I’m sad but happy she won’t be suffering.

I'm sorry. I'm glad you thought of her quality of life- been there a few times. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom