Broody duck has eggs of all different stages!!

xKaitlin

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
Northern Ireland
So my Aylesbury duck has been sitting on her eggs for almost 28 days now, and I only realised 15 days in that she had been laying the whole time.

After candling the eggs I think I’ve got two out of six that are ready to pip but the rest still look quite behind as their air cell is quite small.

What should I do? I don’t have an incubator but should I take the early hatched ducklings away and hope she keeps sitting on the rest or leave them and hope she stays on the nest as we are going to make a small pen for her and her ducklings so they won’t be running off.

I have a heat lamp so if needed I could separate.

I would remove the ducklings, but she may still break broodiness as she is biologically programmed to leave the nest within 36 hours after the first duckling hatches. Once/if the hatch is complete, I'd return the ducklings to her.

I would remove the ducklings, but she may still break broodiness as she is biologically programmed to leave the nest within 36 hours after the first duckling hatches. Once/if the hatch is complete, I'd return the ducklings to her.
Will she accept them even if they have been away ?

Back
Top Bottom