Electric fence for the whole perimeter paid for by the neighbors. I sound like Trump building the wall!!
Granite and Quartz had gone through the hedge, putting them off property, and the dog's owner was willing to pay for them. I can't quibble on that one. The schnauzer was in the yard and the other dog (on friday) was on the deck. Both of them were visiting down below, and went home yesterday, I think. Why the dogs want to come up here and sniff around rather than go out in the horse pasture, I don't know.
With the Christmas stuff coming out, I'm mighty tempted to get that red rider bb gun....

Yes, I have that issue now, those dratted chicklets fly easy peasy straight up 6’ then fly up onto the trees!

How am I to keep them in, I can’t put netting over the run in the winter. And a hard roof would be extremely expensive. The only thing I can think is to add an additional 2 or 3 feet above the 6’ fence and use the netting as a deterrent, it won’t hold snow but would likely sag under ice….

But that is my plan for right now - to add height to the fence and use the netting which is harder for them to gauge to fly over. If the ice damages it it’s easy enough and cheap enough to fix/replace. Once I can get working again I will work towards putting a cover over part of the run for the winter, they rarely go outside anyways in the winter, but I can give them the choice. I am toying with just putting a temporary roof on the section nearest the barn. It’s a dream right now.

I have some safety fencing which I will use to make extra space outside the run, I can’t leave the electric netting up all winter the rabbits chew through it - need to get BIL down to set some rabbit slips soon… I know how to set them, but I don’t think I have any wire to make the snares with.
Pinnon Hatch Farms makes very good aviary netting and the 2” knotted netting will withstand ice and snow and doesn’t hold it (the 2”, not the 1”). I read from reviews that people who keep it up all winter find it is easy to shake the ice and snow off of all season. I keep it up a long time but not all winter and can testify to some ice and snow; I haven’t wanted to slog through deep snow to get at it but I may keep a section up for this winter that’s right next to the run, since I’ll be clearing snow around back there anyway. I don’t have a permanent fence though for ground predators…but maybe if there’s a warm spell I’ll set a small stretch of poultry netting up in blocks.

I’ve mentioned this before probably - we had a neighbor’s two hunting beagles come down the snowblown driveway in the middle of winter and go after our cat. I first saw him coming toward the house with the dogs in pursuit. He narrowly escaped by first running around toward the back door, which I couldn’t get to and open in time due to a sprained knee, I saw him actually run up the door and push off it, leaping backwards over the dogs who were right there (seen through the large back door window) and running back down the driveway, the dogs soooo close, leaping up on to the soft snowbank, the snow up to his haunches, the dogs almost got him there - they were one leap behind him, and launching onto a tree. He climbed 50 feet up that tree to the farthest tiny branch he could get on. He stayed there for hours. We have a permanent cat ladder on to the roof in the back just for this.

DH has been charged and bitten by a large boxer while on a walk, and I got bitten by a small dog while bike riding. Dogs are top predators. They are not really harmless companion animals great to just “have around.” I have very ill feelings toward people that let their dogs loose.

Chukki wishes everyone a happy Monday! The littles are already six months old!
IMG_20231105_121011231_HDR.jpg

This isn't much of a head shot, but shows off Cordelia's pretty feathers.
IMG_20231105_121005157_HDR.jpg

Tina is dying. She was up and about yesterday but seriously poorly now

I think the fireworks may have rushed this on. I have her inside right now and don't know how to help her

View attachment 3676804
:hugs :hugs Maybe bring Princess in too if she would be good company for her. Definitely the noise of fireworks would be scary and a stress.

:wee:wee:weePear appeared on the patio this morning, Nimbus appeared in the olive trees. Both have no signs of trauma from yesterday! Twirp is still with us. Whiskey is eating and trying to convince her to. Haven't seen her eat yet. Felt her crop, feels squishy. I think she's had more water and not much else. Biscuit crumbles were happily inhaled by Whiskey. Twirp turned her beak up at them. Taking Sherlock for a walk, then getting pumpkin started.
So glad those two are still with us! :hugs :hugs

Granite and Quartz had gone through the hedge, putting them off property, and the dog's owner was willing to pay for them. I can't quibble on that one. The schnauzer was in the yard and the other dog (on friday) was on the deck. Both of them were visiting down below, and went home yesterday, I think. Why the dogs want to come up here and sniff around rather than go out in the horse pasture, I don't know.
With the Christmas stuff coming out, I'm mighty tempted to get that red rider bb gun....
Get a Mauser 8mm rifle. Heavy duty and accurate. Das goot!

Get a Mauser 8mm rifle. Heavy duty and accurate. Das goot!
Nothing wrong with a good shot gun or 22 pistol. I actually prefer the 22 rifle, does not kick and with my shoulder the way it is right now, that is a blessing. Rifle season opens up this weekend and dad spent time cleaning his gun in preparation. If I had to go use it to shoot a deer this year we would do without. I love that gun, but it kicks to high heaven. I always know when he has a deer though, can pick out that one's sound inside the house every time.

Princess has gone
Oh no, I was just going to post on your loss of Tina and now poor Princess. I am devastated for you. There are chickens on here who while not yours they become just as loved as if they were. For me Princess was one of those chickens. She was beautiful, loved, and the ever Grumpy Chicken. I am soo sorry to hear this. May she and Tina both rest in peace. If there is any comfort in this it is that she will not spend the winter missing her friend.

Back
Top Bottom