From silkie mix to new breed?

Pics

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Every time I post my black silkie/isabel brahma mix online in my local FB groups everyone always asks what her breed is and that she's absolutely gorgeous and they'd want one. I posted something about her being broody and trying to get her to stop and someone said that I should definitely let her hatch chicks and that I should breed her parents again. She also said that it would make a very pretty breed.

20221212_204235.jpg

20221126_102803.jpg

So that got me thinking...
If so there would be demand for it, I love working with genetics and breeding, and I love Oakley's color and temperament why not give it a shot? Plus it's something I could combine with my silkie breeding as long as I only keep pure silkie roosters around. And the F1 (I think that's what it's called) crosses (brahma hen to silkie roo) should be sexlinked by skin color just like Oakley.

So let's set up a few simple goals with this:
  • Crested, maybe bearded
  •  More brahma-like body type with thick feathers and a lot of leg feathering, which would make them more cold tolerant
  • Dark skin
  • Small dark combs
I think that's enough for now. Now isabel is lavender over partridge, yes? Then my first gen crosses like Oakley will carry lavender. I think lavender would look super cute on them.
My black rooster, the father of Oakley and her 2 full sisters was taken by a hawk. Now I have a dom white silkie roo with red leakage on the shoulders and streamer feathers (background of 2nd photo). I don't know how that will affect the chicks, but I do plan on getting black silkie chicks in spring for my silkie breeding and I really hope I'll get 1 nice rooster from those.

Can someone please inform me on how the penciling genetics work? Thanks.

What do yall think of this project? Should I keep you updated on how it goes?

Last edited:
I do have a question. Right now I'll breed the brahma back to a silkie rooster and Oakley back to a silkie rooster as well. At what point should I start to combine the mixed hens with mixed roosters? How many generations of breeding back to a silkie rooster should I do at first before I keep one of the cockerels and breed him to the hens? I hope that made sense.

On the genetics, her Black sire was actually hiding Silver Partridge(pattern) and when crossed to Isabel which is a Lavender gold partridge based..

Sire is E/eb, Pg/Pg, Ml/ml+, S/S
Dame is eb/eb, Pg/Pg, s+/-

So she is eb/eb, Pg/Pg, Ml/m+(dark head) S/-

View attachment 3350604
If I bred my Isabel hen to a black roo that doesn't have leakage and comes from a line of only blacks would the chicks look different?

Every time I post my black silkie/isabel brahma mix online in my local FB groups everyone always asks what her breed is and that she's absolutely gorgeous and they'd want one. I posted something about her being broody and trying to get her to stop and someone said that I should definitely let her hatch chicks and that I should breed her parents again. She also said that it would make a very pretty breed.

View attachment 3350550
View attachment 3350566

So that got me thinking...
If so there would be demand for it, I love working with genetics and breeding, and I love Oakley's color and temperament why not give it a shot? Plus it's something I could combine with my silkie breeding as long as I only keep pure silkie roosters around. And the F1 (I think that's what it's called) crosses (brahma hen to silkie roo) should be sexlinked by skin color just like Oakley.

So let's set up a few simple goals with this:
  • Crested, maybe bearded
  •  More brahma-like body type with thick feathers and a lot of leg feathering, which would make them more cold tolerant
  • Dark skin
  • Small dark combs
I think that's enough for now. Now isabel is lavender over partridge, yes? Then my first gen crosses like Oakley will carry lavender. I think lavender would look super cute on them.
My black rooster, the father of Oakley and her 2 full sisters was taken by a hawk. Now I have a dom white silkie roo with red leakage on the shoulders and streamer feathers (background of 2nd photo). I don't know how that will affect the chicks, but I do plan on getting black silkie chicks in spring for my silkie breeding and I really hope I'll get 1 nice rooster from those.

Can someone please inform me on how the penciling genetics work? Thanks.

What do yall think of this project? Should I keep you updated on how it goes?
Do you have any other roosters?

Back
Top Bottom