From silkie mix to new breed?

Sorry, came late to the party but if you do decide to create this breed, and I wholeheartedly think you should, PLEASE let me buy a couple off of you or some eggs. That is a gorgeous girl!

I was wondering however, being a hybrid animal, if you bred 2 together what would the result be?

I was wondering however, being a hybrid animal, if you bred 2 together what would the result be?
You mean if I bred 2 together right now as they are? I'd probably get some in lavender and some silked chicks because they would carry those genes from the parents. I have no idea what they would look like when it comes to the other things. That's why I need to get them to breed true in the future.

It's great to hear that I'm not the only one who's fallen in love with her unique look! While we're waiting for her first eggs to hatch I thought I'd post some more pictures of her. I also think it would be interesting to show photos of her 2 full sisters that I no longer own. Funny thing is I chose to keep Oakley instead of her bearded sister because Oakley was more friendly towards people. Now I honestly hope her chicks inherit my silkie rooster's calm, sweet, polite personality not her crazy, curious, always in your business personality.

Here are some childhood photos of them.
Oakley a couple days old:
20220426_094407.jpg

Oakley at 4 weeks
20220521_174840.jpg

Her nearly identical (but bearded) sister looked the same. Their youngest sister looked like this. I think she's gold based while Oakley and Chestnut are silver based.
20220517_154420.jpg

20220718_112944.jpg

This is Chestnut
20220810_183502.jpg

She's gorgeous! I really regret not keeping her.
Here's Chestnut on the left and Oakley on the right.
20220717_163648.jpg

And lastly all 3 of them with their mother in the middle.
20220810_183623.jpg

This may not be the popular opinion, but I like the clean look of Oakley's face more than I like Chestnuts beard. Something about the way the colors come together without the "poof" of a beard makes her look more natural, almost like a heritage breed. IMO.. Either way.... DON'T FORGET US WHEN YOU START SELLING HATCHING EGGS OR HER CHICKS! :)
I'm gonna have to agree that they look better without a beard. I think Chestnut kind of reminds me of an easter egger. Originally I liked the bearded look better, but honestly now that I've gotten used to Oakley I prefer the clean face. Still Chestnut was an absolutely gorgeous bird.
I can't wait to see Oakley's first chicks! Just 2 more weeks. 2 of her eggs are developing. I had 3 of hers in total (maybe 4 but I think that one might've been from my cochin).

8 more days till lockdown, 11 days till hatching!
Not realated, but I've also got some silkie eggs from my newest cuckoo pullet and the same rooster I bred Oakley to, which I'm really excited to see hatch. I also have some mystery eggs from when my order of silkie eggs got mixed up with someone else's package. I suspect most are silkies, but I'm unsure about a couple. Those silkie eggs are from one of my favorite local breeders, so I cannot wait to see what will hatch. Even if they won't be the right color or a different quality from the ones I wanted.

Just thought I would stop by and remind you, you made some of us addicts for the new breed you are working on :) how is everything going with Oakley?
Everything's going good. The snow finally melted off yesterday, so my chickens finally went outside for the first time in like a week. Oakley is doing good too and hopefully so are her eggs. I will candle them one last time in 5 days when they go into lockdown. Hopefully her chicks hatch alright.

Back
Top Bottom