From silkie mix to new breed?

Now? Or at the time my mixes hatched?
Currently
Thank you. Sorry for asking so many questions, but what would happen if I bred a silver partridge brahma hen to the pure black rooster? Would they still be all black with leakage?
They’ll still be black with leakage unless the black rooster actually carries columbian or partridge

Thank you.

I have a dominant white silkie rooster with red leakage. I suspect his father mightve been buff and mom was paint based on the photos I was sent of possible parents.
Your plan to breed both roosters is a good idea, since they could carry partridge, but you won’t tell until you’ve bred them. Ideally, you would use a pure partridge rooster, but those other two should work as well (it will just take longer to set the color).

Your plan to breed both roosters is a good idea, since they could carry partridge, but you won’t tell until you’ve bred them. Ideally, you would use a pure partridge rooster, but those other two should work as well (it will just take longer to set the color).
Wait, which other rooster do you mean aside from the white with buff? Sorry I got a little confused.

You mentioned a black rooster. How many roosters do you have, currently?
I only have the white with leakage currently. I asked about that because I will be buying incubation eggs from black silkies to improve my silkies in early spring. From those eggs I hope to get that black rooster. So, next year I will only have my current roo.

Since it would be too difficult to recreate the same exact color as Oakley in future chicks since her father died, I think when it comes to color I want to keep the penciling and black head if I can. I know the penciling came from her mom the isabel brahma. Which parent did she inherit the dark head from? I assume her father? Does the dark head come from the silver partridge pattern her dad was hiding?

Could I get a similar result as Oakley by breeding a silver partridge roo to the isabel brahma? I don't have a silver partridge rooster, but they're fairly common in my country and wouldn't be hard to find if I decided I needed one.

Question on penciling:
Will the brahma pass on penciling to all her chicks? And will Oakley pass it on to half of her chicks or is that not how penciling works?

If you want to duplicate the appearance of your hen, breed one of your roosters to her, and then breed the resulting son back to her, and then breed her grandson back to her, and so on until you get more females like her. Once you have other females with her color and traits you can add them to the breeding program. You shouldn't have to wait too long between each generation, I have bred roosters as young as 13 weeks in the past.

Hope that helps!

I agree that you should cross your existing hen to another rooster rather than trying to recreate her altogether. Crossing her to any rooster with penciling/partridge will most likely produce mostly penciled chicks, either silver or gold depending on the father. If you cross her to an isabel Brahma about half her chicks will be a sort of isabel color too.

Back
Top Bottom