Meyer Hatchery: A Raise A long (Black & Blue Copper Marans, Cuckoo Marans, Easter Egger and Olive Eggers Galore)

We just moved upstate NY and I couldn't move the current flock/my family took the rest I had to their farm. I had a Wheaten Maran Rooster with a bunch of BCM/Welsummers and was having a great time mixing them. Wheaten/Welsummer Mix is my favorite combination and the hardiest I've had.

We moved to about 10 acres and I'm looking into getting into possibly having a breeding flock just for some BCM's and F1/F2 Easter Eggers possibly up here. I'm doing an assortment for the moment as I have a feeling I'll end up with 3/4 coops and multiple runs/free ranges as well.

I'd say probably in 1 year or so I'll get more into certain parts of genetics and SOP as the BCM is one of my favorite breeds. I'm just hoping this rooster I'm getting is a little more docile then my Wheaten. I loved my Wheaten roo but he was very aggressive/overly protective of the girls.
That's awesome. I'm kind of doing the same thing. I started with the 5 i ordered ( 1 boy - 4 girls). 1 turned out to be a boy also but I already had a mix flock so I have 2 separate. 1 is for Olives and Marans hybrids.
Its all individual birds but I got lucky with my boys, mine are docile and friendly, mutual respect goes along way.

Hopefully you get some good birds to start out with. Sometimes iffy with hatchery quality.

Here's my Kong and his flock.
Him and 3 of the hens are from Meyers. Other 6 I hatched under broodys. 3 each time.
IMG_20231227_134703.jpg

That's awesome. I'm kind of doing the same thing. I started with the 5 i ordered ( 1 boy - 4 girls). 1 turned out to be a boy also but I already had a mix flock so I have 2 separate. 1 is for Olives and Marans hybrids.
Its all individual birds but I got lucky with my boys, mine are docile and friendly, mutual respect goes along way.

Hopefully you get some good birds to start out with. Sometimes iffy with hatchery quality.

Him and 3 of the hens are from Meyers. Other 6 I hatched under broodys. 3 each time.
View attachment 3737208
Also another great quality from my old BCM's they loved being good mommas. Albeit they were always top of the pecking order. But they were my most "broodiest" hens and always took care of things.

Kong is one handsome fella! (The ladies are all beautiful too ofc haha)

Also another great quality from my old BCM's they loved being good mommas. Albeit they were always top of the pecking order. But they were my most "broodiest" hens and always took care of things.

Kong is one handsome fella! (The ladies are all beautiful too ofc haha)
Very true and thank you so much. They are a work in progress..

Looking forward to seeing your little ones when they arrive.

Good news the post office called and I can go grab the little ones in 20 minutes! I'll get some pics on here after my meetings this morning.

Just for reference if someone else searches USPS Shipping Issues. USPS sometimes USPS will forget to scan live animals as they are in a rush to get them packed and moved on to the next place. It took approximately 30 hours to get here (Which is pretty good).

How are you liking their temperament/overall personalities?

I'm excited to be getting some new mix's of marans as I loved my BCM's I found them all to be my most social ladies and sweetest.
I love my 3 Black Copper Maran girls and they have the most beautiful eggs and they are very social and for the most part quiet. They want held and touched. They want treats too ;)!

View attachment 3737208
Your Black Copper Maran is beautiful! I am thinking when I order chickies - I don't know when that will be - but I would get a Black Copper Maran rooster. How is his temperament towards you and the ladies?

Alright looks like we have possibly 2 roosters out of the bunch. And they threw in one I can't identify it's the light brown backed and yellow colored one. I'm thinking a Cinnamon Queen possibly?

Everyone was delivered alive and well (as well which is a huge positive)!

Attachments

• Chick3.jpg
    Chick3.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 33
  • Chick2.jpg
    Chick2.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Chick1.jpg
    Chick1.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Your Black Copper Maran is beautiful! I am thinking when I order chickies - I don't know when that will be - but I would get a Black Copper Maran rooster. How is his temperament towards you and the ladies?
I couldn't ask for 2 better boys and that's not just being bias towards the BCM's. (I've had 7 total over the years)
Very attentive to the hens, they do all the things roosters are suppose to... find treats, let them eat first, find lay spots, stands guard with them while they lay, will stand out in the rain waiting for them, all the good stuff.
They both are great in their own ways so it's hard to judge which one is better, but having them both from day olds I think they 'fed off each other's so to speak, so they both do the same things.
And even when I had King's son up to a year old he learned from dad so there is a plus to having multiple boys. He went to a good home (member from here) to oversee his own flock.
I could post pics if @Pumperkinz doesn't mind. I surely don't want to derail the new chickie thread by any means, but it might give an idea of Meyers quality to a degree with what I can add as far the faults I see in my birds and potential egg colors. But it's also key to note mine will be 3 in April so there's that. No guarantees with bird stock, quality changes of course.

I couldn't ask for 2 better boys and that's not just being bias towards the BCM's. (I've had 7 total over the years)
Very attentive to the hens, they do all the things roosters are suppose to... find treats, let them eat first, find lay spots, stands guard with them while they lay, will stand out in the rain waiting for them, all the good stuff.
They both are great in their own ways so it's hard to judge which one is better, but having them both from day olds I think they 'fed off each other's so to speak, so they both do the same things.
And even when I had King's son up to a year old he learned from dad so there is a plus to having multiple boys. He went to a good home (member from here) to oversee his own flock.
I could post pics if @Pumperkinz doesn't mind. I surely don't want to derail the new chickie thread by any means, but it might give an idea of Meyers quality to a degree with what I can add as far the faults I see in my birds and potential egg colors. But it's also key to note mine will be 3 in April so there's that. No guarantees with bird stock, quality changes of course.
Nice! 😍 You could PM me the pictures if she didn't want them posted! 😊

Back
Top Bottom