Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Whiteloft...the broodcock is a CRACKER ! ! ! Are the hens from the same breeder or line? 

Thanks sd_paulo
Yes all my shamo are the same line. All of them are nieces nephews aunts uncles brothers and sisters. I feel the line still needs work. There is to much difference in their type. Plus they do have some things that can be improved on.
Your birds look great. I really like the type of the darker one. I see they are from Mrs Chungs line. I hear she has the best when it comes to shamo. When it comes to breeding I like to try to stay with a line and just improve it without crossing in other lines. That being said mrs Chung is for sure the one breeder I would like to eventually get some of her line.

Asils

Butterscotch_zps3477418f.jpg

Orange_zpsc867baf8.jpg

I like the color they look great with good structure congrass

It's been a sad year. All my Orientals hatched since Oct-Nov did not make through the cold. They just don't have enough feathers to withstand the 25F. Only 2 batches of late Dec still being covered by the mom survive so far. That's mean the breeding starts all over this Feb, can't wait for the warm air to return.

It's been a sad year. All my Orientals hatched since Oct-Nov did not make through the cold. They just don't have enough feathers to withstand the 25F. Only 2 batches of late Dec still being covered by the mom survive so far. That's mean the breeding starts all over this Feb, can't wait for the warm air to return.
This is one of several reasons why fall hatching is very difficult.

That's the primary reason I can not have an Oriental bird...badly as I want one. It's been negative 21*F here and wind chill of nearly negative 50*.

I guess I'll have to move south if I ever expect to have any because I can not 'hot-house' birds and make their lives miserable.

Even my Turkens/NN do Ok in these miserable temps.

I'll have to continue to look at them on the net.

in the past, I used to bring a few batches home so I can raise them in a closed wooden box and have heat lamp. Well, due to sanity and this year traveling, I stopped bringing them home and will have to rely on Feb-March hatching for now on. One thing I will miss is the early hatch tends to be strong and big either due to the cool weather or due to the fact that they are older and getting all the best food.

in the past, I used to bring a few batches home so I can raise them in a closed wooden box and have heat lamp. Well, due to sanity and this year traveling, I stopped bringing them home and will have to rely on Feb-March hatching for now on. One thing I will miss is the early hatch tends to be strong and big either due to the cool weather or due to the fact that they are older and getting all the best food.
I ran fall hatches for years. Always difficult.
I prefer the first hatch to be Christmas week and then every week then until Easter. These chicks are much easier to raise than fall hatched chicks.

Back
Top Bottom