Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

For those with wheaten Ko Shamo's. There were 120+ at the APA breed qualifying meet at the Pacific Poultry Breeders meet at Stockton CA yesterday 1/25. The qualifying judge and the Standard
Committee members will be recommending that they be accepted by the APA as a recognized bantam breed. An ABA Standard Committee member indicated that there will be no problems having them recognized by the ABA. Several judges said that the class was the strongest of any class of chickens they had ever seen at an APA qualifying meet. Color and type was very uniform. There were 10-15 exhibitors......not sure how many.

For those that don't know ........... "Dragon Lady.".....Suzann Chung spent a lot of her own time and resources putting this together. I have never seen a meet like this and I have been on the APA Standard Committee for many years.

There will be better pics including individual birds as I get them.

Walt Leonard
Chairman of the APA Standard Revision Committee.

Suzann is a great ambassador for the breed. She seems to makes herself available for anyone that has a question or shows an interest in the oriental breeds. Most of the exhibitors I spoke to this weekend had a story about how Suzann got them started with quality birds or helped them with issues they were having. It was a very impressive group of birds.

That's the primary reason I can not have an Oriental bird...badly as I want one. It's been negative 21*F here and wind chill of nearly negative 50*.

I guess I'll have to move south if I ever expect to have any because I can not 'hot-house' birds and make their lives miserable.

Even my Turkens/NN do Ok in these miserable temps.

I'll have to continue to look at them on the net.
Hellbender, you might try Cubalayas. They were bred from Orientals and have much of the personality, but have a full coat of feathers.

Suzann is a great ambassador for the breed. She seems to makes herself available for anyone that has a question or shows an interest in the oriental breeds. Most of the exhibitors I spoke to this weekend had a story about how Suzann got them started with quality birds or helped them with issues they were having. It was a very impressive group of birds.

That is Suzann indeed! She is a wonderful, kind and very knowledgeable, if not the most knowledgeable regarding Ko Shamo and Shamo. It was a fun event! Great seeing friends and meeting new ones...like the father and son team of FrancisCreek, Jen Codwell (sp), Heather (the Canadian judge) and a few others. The banquet has always been a riot too the the dynamic trio of Suzann, Walt and Bob at the helm....Lol!

I just wish I would have take more photos this time. But here are a few.....

I just wish I would have take more photos this time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom