Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I think it just occurs in some birds, the best I could find official is "beak deformity" caused by injury, but I doubt that looking at the photos of theses birds compared to actually injured beak photos... I am thinking especially since people state it tends to occur in lines, or a flock of related birds it is genetic, but just not properly researched... So how to breed for it is the Q, because it is just too cool.

Kadjain have you considered breeding for this trait to see if it is genetic & what type of genes they may be?
I have thought about trying to breed for, specially since I've seen it quite a few time in my lines but I don't know what it will mature to be like yet. We'll see .. .
I'll update pics as he matures

I think it just occurs in some birds, the best I could find official is "beak deformity" caused by injury, but I doubt that looking at the photos of theses birds compared to actually injured beak photos... I am thinking especially since people state it tends to occur in lines, or a flock of related birds it is genetic, but just not properly researched... So how to breed for it is the Q, because it is just too cool.

Kadjain have you considered breeding for this trait to see if it is genetic & what type of genes they may be?

It is not rare for an oriental breed to have a horn above the beak. You see it mostly in O Shamo's.

Walt

I just emailed everything I could find on it along with my personal hypothesis on the occurance of the anomaly to Jack Horner maybe he will have some interest in it. If its only occuring in the large breed orientals maybe its a dormant dino-like trait braught on by line breeding and perhaps the reason it is in these type fowl with they're very different style is because they either took a different evolutionary path or derived from a seperate species of dino all together... Seems a stretch but not really if your familier with Jack Horner and his work with the dino chicken
I have read a few articles, about Dino-Chicken.
I have thought about trying to breed for, specially since I've seen it quite a few time in my lines but I don't know what it will mature to be like yet. We'll see .. .
I'll update pics as he matures
It will interesting to see how he matures.
It is not rare for an oriental breed to have a horn above the beak. You see it mostly in O Shamo's.

Walt

Last edited:

Walt
Walt do you think maybe recessive? Or is it acting like an incomplete dominate or dominate?

I know this is a trait probably not wanted by most people, probably a DQ for SQ birds. But then many traits that are DQ for one breed are what define another... I noted in trying to find info on this a few people have laying hens of certain breeds with an extra bump on beak (same area) versus other breeds. I would not call them horns but definetly something more there.

So many cool breeds, so little space.

Walt do you think maybe recessive? Or is it acting like an incomplete dominate or dominate?

I know this is a trait probably not wanted by most people, probably a DQ for SQ birds. But then many traits that are DQ for one breed are what define another... I noted in trying to find info on this a few people have laying hens of certain breeds with an extra bump on beak (same area) versus other breeds. I would not call them horns but definetly something more there.

So many cool breeds, so little space.

It is probably recessive. Most of the time it is just a bump rather than a horn.

Walt

Ko Shamo hen with her chicks. She is a "Walt Leonard-fowlman01" bird. They are highly intelligent, delightful birds who are excellent, protective parents where both sexes takes part in incubating as well as raising their young: if given the chance to do so.

Last edited:
Ko Shamo hen with her chicks. She is a "Walt Leonard-fowlman01" bird. They are highly intelligent, delightful birds who are excellent, protective parents where both sexes takes part in incubating as well as raising their young: if given the chance to do so.

Congrats! Nice looking youngsters!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuzo / Hatched July 10th and 11th
3 out of 5 hatched. It was her 1st time and she left the nest after the 1st one hatched leaving 2 to die in the shell and I assisted with the other 2.

The Father.....

I like smart birds, thank you for the info on both parents will help incubate.

Congrats! Nice looking youngsters!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuzo / Hatched July 10th and 11th
3 out of 5 hatched. It was her 1st time and she left the nest after the 1st one hatched leaving 2 to die in the shell and I assisted with the other 2.

The Father.....

Bummer you lost 2, but maybe mama will get the hang of hatching out chicks better the 2nd time around.

Back
Top Bottom