Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Two things, the first malay birds when pure can take up to two years to come into their courage. Secondly if they are hatchery birds they were not bred to be game so they are likely dunghill.

Well kingcocker i am well aware that most oriental gamefowl take up to two years and will be thin and stittish until they become cocks but they sure DO fight before then wether or not they are going to win is another thing, she is talking about asils whitch i have years of experence with and i know for a fact they will start fighting at 4 5 moths old and will be agressive toward other roosters and stags.

I just find it ironic that the only birds that I own that costed money upfront and have a name and history happen to be my least impressive. The only thing I can think of causing the behavior problem is that maybe they got into a fight I'm not aware of before I penned them, because one stags' eye is bigger than the other, with a pupil shape that's oblong slightly, leading me to believe he got hit. I've heard that if they hurt eachother too young that it'll ruin a bird, but then again, I've had stags that got terribly hurt out there free ranged that turned out as confident cocks.
I feed soaked oats, scratch grain, laying pellets with a few dog food pellets; and I cut up greens for the penned ones. All of the other chickens are kinda overweight I think, lol. The sisters feel good in my hands. They really surprised me. They're so cocky, I almost expect them to crow.
The hens are so nice, they are the only reason I don't sell the whole family.

Last edited:
Well kingcocker i am well aware that most oriental gamefowl take up to two years and will be thin and stittish until they become cocks but they sure DO fight before then wether or not they are going to win is another thing, she is talking about asils whitch i have years of experence with and i know for a fact they will start fighting at 4 5 moths old and will be agressive toward other roosters and stags.
You are 100% right if they are good birds...

I just find it ironic that the only birds that I own that costed money upfront and have a name and history happen to be my least impressive. The only thing I can think of causing the behavior problem is that maybe they got into a fight I'm not aware of before I penned them, because one stags' eye is bigger than the other, with a pupil shape that's oblong slightly, leading me to believe he got hit. I've heard that if they hurt eachother too young that it'll ruin a bird, but then again, I've had stags that got terribly hurt out there free ranged that turned out as confident cocks.
I feed soaked oats, scratch grain, laying pellets with a few dog food pellets; and I cut up greens for the penned ones.
If you have the time breed the hens to a good American line cock with a shuffle and if they put out confident stags you will have something special in at least one of the stags. If they are not hatchery birds then they may just be bred too tight and can only produce.

I feed soaked oats, scratch grain, laying pellets with a few dog food pellets; and I cut up greens for the penned ones. All of the other chickens are kinda overweight I think, lol. The sisters feel good in my hands. They really surprised me. They're so cocky, I almost expect them to crow.
i would put the stags in their pens and forget about them (fighting) for up o 4-5 or maybe 6 months and then test them by just letting them out of pen and at same time another rooster out (no catching =no scared to death birds) ..... It's the price you have to pay with orientals ..... i really don't bother any of my stags(forget about them) (except catching them up to pen at 5-6 mo of age) until 1 1/2 yr of age .... if the blood is right you have nothing to worry bout .

Last edited:
I bred the birds in question. They are not hatchery birds. They are a cross of wahl, thomas and a sonatol line. All 3 lines are great birds, very game. They need time to mature.

As soon as I saw one of the stags chasing my grey hen down, I figured I'd stick them into a broodpen since the asil pullets weren't laying yet.
I have about eight asil/grey crosses out of a clutch of eleven. They were tiny white/yellow chicks, but are feathering out with some interesting colors to say the least. The asil crosses are the hardiest and most solid bodied of the bunch.
I have a pic of them when they had just hatched though.

I didn't put the molt into consideration, both stags still have pin feathers coming out on thier heads. I forget that some birds take a molt hard.

Here's what they are looking like, (nothing stays still long enough for a good picture)

Asil Grey crosses with mama.

The funky colored asil rooster with the pullet.

his brother and sister.

Back
Top Bottom