Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

yea... i think i need to separate them as 2 of them got cuts while fighting today when i let them out to run around. Usually it just looks like they spar for fun or something, but today, those 2 were pretty serious so i had to stop them x.x. Do you think it'll get to the point where they're gonna like kill each other? Or is it going to be ok after they figure out their pecking order? When i let them out, it just looks like they're constantly sparring with each other after they're done eating/drinking.

L

Once they get to the age they start fighting, as yours has. It will get to the point they will not stop till there are dead chickens. They will need to be seperated all the time.

I won Res-Champion large fowl with this guy last weekend. He is a Dark Shamo yearling....he will be bigger next year.
At four weeks old my Shamo's are killing each other.

Walt

Last edited:
Or just click the little picture box above your message before sending it.

Very nice though! I find over time honestly that I prefer the more performance bred vs show bred types but always want a little show blood in there to keep the upright position and low tail. Some Shamos don't have enough of that for me.

Well, out of my last hatch I got a good variety of dom/cuckoo, yellow (wheaten) and brown striped yellow (likely dark) However, they're not old enough to judge who is also barred, so, they're probably all barred.

Anyway, pics of parents again. The actual mom is the crele-ish colored one in back though. All three are still growing, and the stag is actually maturing to be nicer looking than I thought. For a while his tail was appearing to rise above horizontal, but nope.
smile.png

Check out those expressions!

Or just click the little picture box above your message before sending it.

Very nice though! I find over time honestly that I prefer the more performance bred vs show bred types but always want a little show blood in there to keep the upright position and low tail. Some Shamos don't have enough of that for me.

Well, out of my last hatch I got a good variety of dom/cuckoo, yellow (wheaten) and brown striped yellow (likely dark) However, they're not old enough to judge who is also barred, so, they're probably all barred.

Anyway, pics of parents again. The actual mom is the crele-ish colored one in back though. All three are still growing, and the stag is actually maturing to be nicer looking than I thought. For a while his tail was appearing to rise above horizontal, but nope.
smile.png

Check out those expressions!

Well this line is both show and performance. What would make you think otherwise...especially when I stated that they start killing each other at 4 weeks. these are real Shamo's in every sense of the word. Until recently your only experience with Shamo's was the hatchery birds you had and you had them running with your flock. I'm not sure how that makes you a Shamo expert.

Hardly anyone shows Shamo's, so there is no "show" type.

Walt

Last edited:
Well this line is both show and performance. What would make you think otherwise...especially when I stated that they start killing each other at 4 weeks. these are real Shamo's in every sense of the word. Until recently your only experience with Shamo's was the hatchery birds you had and you had them running with your flock. I'm not sure how that makes you a Shamo expert.

Walt

There's some "show types" for sale on here right now. $75 will get you a quality bred and "NOT GAME" chick. come on. We have a good thread going here and don't need this fighting. Someone asked about pureness and got a poopy response a few days ago.

Blaine, if you own a copy of the APA standard, you will see inside a picture of the guy you just talked trash to....he is on the committee, and a very well respected judge and exhibitor.

Walt

No, that's not what I mean, I hope we don't think the "game" topic is coming to mind again,

But by the way, what? Hatchery birds? Why does everyone think I had hatchery birds? I never claimed an expert, hardly, considering I've only had Shamos for a couple years, and my first birds were certainly not hatchery. I'd be the last person to get games from a hatchery.

What I mean by performance vs show is, I guess in a nutshell, birds who have imported lines at most 3 generations back, or who are the exact same lines as an imported lineage, as in, no outcrossing at all, versus birds who are from lines that are regularly shown. I'm not pointing fingers to anyone's birds though if that is what is thought. I don't know who's birds have what behind them when I see pictures or hear of wins at shows or anything, I'm just stating that I often find birds with a longer US-born show history in their lineage, they tend to actually look different from birds who either aren't bred for show or who have close lineage to imported birds. And yes I am aware, not many Shamos are actually shown.

A better explanation might be, I find most birds winning shows and who have parents/grandparents who also commonly win shows look different from ones who have never and who's parents/grandparents have never seen a show. Not coming down on anyone's stock, I'm just stating what I see. If one disagrees, okay. I just don't see where the implications are coming from on me being expert, not understanding gaminess, or having hatchery stock are coming from.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom