Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Lost my black shamo hen today to my neighbors dog today. He acted like it was no big deal. I really like my chickens, Im so frustrated.

Anybody got any ideas of what I should make him pay for her?

Shooting the dog once it gets back on your property would be sufficient. After all, in the words of a well-known BYC member, "A dog on its owner's property is a pet; but a dog on someone else's property is a predator." You could also demand he keep his dog confined. A friend of mine had a dog attack that resulted in the killing of three of his goats, and the local police department forced the owner of the dog to confine the animal. They also gave my friend the legal right to kill the dog if it ever stepped foot on his property again. Dogs that kill chickens can be accurately described as engines of destruction towards private property, and such engines should be disposed of.

As far as payment for the Shamo hen, it depends on her quality and her original price (if you bought her). Even if she wasn't the best type, I think a fair price would be about $25. However, I've never bought a Shamo hen before and I don't browse the market very often, so I can't really be authoritative.

God bless,
~Gresh~

I would be furious, that's for sure. But yes, it's perfectly legit to shoot the dog the next time it enters your property. In fact out here a rather harmless lab was shot because it was on someone's cattle pasture. Cattle. Not chickens or pheasants or other likely meals, but cattle. So I could easily imagine chickens, already been attacked and killed, are a completely legit thing to shoot for.

But, yeah, if you possibly could, you could have him owe you too. Depending on the quality I would also agree, $25 is on the normal side, moving on upward.

Josh, beautiful birds as always. LOVE the Muff. Not too often I see those.

Malays for sale - That's pretty rare honestly. Sadly Malays are pretty rare, good purebred ones especially, and it seems most breeders have disappeared from BYC. (fowlafoot for example)

Malays for sale - That's pretty rare honestly. Sadly Malays are pretty rare, good purebred ones especially, and it seems most breeders have disappeared from BYC. (fowlafoot for example)

Yeah, where did Fowlafoot go? I think Prairiechicken disappeared, too. Sad because they had some great birds.

Doc has bantam Malays. Not sure what progress he's making though because he hasn't uploaded many pics of them (I think I've seen only one picture).

In response to the Malay breeder question, and other similar ones like it that come up--- This may be a shocker for some, but this forum actually does not have every poultry breeder as a member.
wink.png
A lot of old school breeders don't use either the internet or mess with forums, or both. If people want to find a breed, first, I would suggest the Poultry Press, a lot of people still use that and only that to advertise. Second, go to a show near you. Talk to people. Poultry people are good people, they love to talk about their breeds, someone at a show can surely point you in the right direction as far a finding a breed. No, Malay are sure not common, but, I can think of 4-5 breeders right off the top of my head. None of them are on this site and probably never will be. Third, join the SPPA, their breeders directory is invaluable in finding breeders for rare breeds.

Here is a pic of a bantam Malay ( not my birds) I saw at a show recently. You never know what you will see and who you will meet at a show.

Yes, Carl travels to alot of shows, and always brings birds for sale.
He was at NEPC in January. Massachusetts is quite a haul. I hear he is Judging at a Canada show later this year, too.

In response to the Malay breeder question, and other similar ones like it that come up--- This may be a shocker for some, but this forum actually does not have every poultry breeder as a member.
wink.png
A lot of old school breeders don't use either the internet or mess with forums, or both. If people want to find a breed, first, I would suggest the Poultry Press, a lot of people still use that and only that to advertise. Second, go to a show near you. Talk to people. Poultry people are good people, they love to talk about their breeds, someone at a show can surely point you in the right direction as far a finding a breed. No, Malay are sure not common, but, I can think of 4-5 breeders right off the top of my head. None of them are on this site and probably never will be. Third, join the SPPA, their breeders directory is invaluable in finding breeders for rare breeds.

Here is a pic of a bantam Malay ( not my birds) I saw at a show recently. You never know what you will see and who you will meet at a show.

ahahahahaha............

wink.png

I've never seen a real standard for Malays, standard or bantam, but that is a very nice looking bird. Love that BBR coloration.

Back
Top Bottom