Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Hey walt, could you give any info on which breed to try? you said you like both, have a fav.? I know these sound like "petty" ?'s, and most people don't like to put up with them. But I can't just order a "variety pack" from a hatchery for $25 and try them all out. These birds aren't cheap or easy to acquire. I want to make a good decision, hopefully the first time.
Thanks for the help so far,

That's a whopper, Walt. Biggest one I've heard of before was 16 lbs. Is he fat? It would be hard to believe he is, but if he isn't, he must be stronger than dirt. How 'bout a picture? Is he a show bird, or, or, you know, lol.......Pop

Last edited:
That's a whopper, Walt. Biggest one I've heard of before was 16 lbs. Is he fat? It would be hard to believe he is, but if he isn't, he must be stronger than dirt. How 'bout a picture? Is he a show bird, or, or, you know, lol.......Pop

I have seen bigger ones in pictures, but not in person. These were pics from people I believe...you know how that goes.......if they say they are 34" tall I believe these folks....it's not like this online stuff lol

This female is 9lbs to give you a reference. Excuse the condition, this guy now takes forever to get his tail back in.
He isn't fat. He is like a brick. I have only shown him once, he doesn't fit well in the show coops even a double coop. I have to put 2 x 4's under the cage to lift it up on the 4" side and he will still touch his head. The biggest problem is that he can move the cage around if he gets antsy.

I show this female and she has won the AOSB class a few times. We have over 100 birds in that class out here in Cali.

Walt

Hey walt, could you give any info on which breed to try? you said you like both, have a fav.? I know these sound like "petty" ?'s, and most people don't like to put up with them. But I can't just order a "variety pack" from a hatchery for $25 and try them all out. These birds aren't cheap or easy to acquire. I want to make a good decision, hopefully the first time.
Thanks for the help so far,

it would be a hard decision for me. I love both breeds. Maybe the Shamo, but only because they blow people away when they see them.

Walt

I like 'em.

This male is directly from Suzann Chung three years ago, but I have offspring and I don't think they will be this big. The oldest offspring I have are only 2 yo. I have only had the Shamo's for 3 years, so I am a newbie with them. I have had Asils for 30 or so years. So far both breeds seem similar in their management and both really like people. Suzann doesn't like them this big, but I do.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom