Surviving Minnesota!

Can anyone tell me whats going on????? I COULD NOT get my chickens into the coop tonight???? They all crowded into a corner and practically smothered each other and REFUSED to go into the coop???? I had to physically pick each one up and toss them in?! It is raining with a little thunder and some lightening...could they just be freaking out? I also put new shavings in the coop....As soon as I put them in there, they all crowded into the corner in there?

I thought they killed one of my Cochins, she was so far shoved into the corner of the run that I had to pry her out???? I thought she was dead? I also have a metal roof on the coop....I am just crazy trying to figure out what the heck is going on with them? Now its raining hard and I want to go out there and check on them so bad????

Can anyone tell me whats going on?????   I COULD NOT get my chickens into the coop tonight????  They all crowded into a corner and practically smothered each other and REFUSED to go into the coop????  I had to physically pick each one up and toss them in?!  It is raining with a little thunder and some lightening...could they just be freaking out?  I also put new shavings in the coop....As soon as I put them in there, they all crowded into the corner in there?

I thought they killed one of my Cochins, she was so far shoved into the corner of the run that I had to pry her out????  I thought she was dead?  I also have a metal roof on the coop....I am just crazy trying to figure out what the heck is going on with them?   Now its raining hard and I want to go out there and check on them so bad????

I could see the metal roof scaring them because of the loud noise.
Most likely sensing a storm like you mentioned. Cows and horses will often crowd into the farthest away corner from the direction of the storm to try to get away from it

Ralphie, he is beautiful! Of course all the good looking ones are Roo's... One time my daughter was like, why in nature do all of the males look better than the females except for people? I said, it is true with people as well, how many men do you see walking around needing to wear make up? They look better naturally, most women are hideous without makeup. lol She was like. hmmmm that is true! :) I could be biased though in that I think men are better looking, seeing as i'm a women. Oh, and I don't ever wear makeup, and I am pretty hideous so I can say that...
Ha! This made me laugh way too hard!
I just came in from working on my Anti-deer device. I need to run to Menards. I seem to have forgotten to get cross braces for the corners. We are missing two ceramic eggs out of one "stolen" nest. I have a feeling someone (my DW or DM) picked them up thinking they were eggs. I sure hope they did not sell them to someone. The person could get a lot harder boiled egg than they wanted. I was out watching my teenagers ( the Sports, Dominique and a few others)....I am thinking my white sport breeding program is in jeopardy. The hen appears to be trying to self identify as a male. She is getting a higher longer tail and some pointy saddle feathers have started to grow in . I am hoping this does not change my plans to hatch sports next year.
We mark our ceramic eggs with a little brown smiley face on the end.
Mojitos are my summer drink. Ahem. This is a friend of mine's patch. She's near Grand Rapids. But that's what the hillside next to work looks like too. It's nutso up here those blooms. I haven't ever seen a year like this before...or haven't paid attention. But usually I pay attention.
The wild strawberries are doing well here, and the black caps are immature, but there are loads of them! It does seem to be a great berry season so far. Maybe the mild winter and nice spring, even with all the rain.
I am going to run, well walk slowly, out to my patch and look at it. But it will make no difference the animals and birds always beat me to it. I forgot to mention my Broody SS (Lizzy) got off the nest for a while today. It was so funny, King George ran to her and was dipping his wing. She was having none of that. She puffed up and walked around like a broody does with babies when she is protecting them. Everything backed away from her and gave her room. She did this for maybe 20 minutes and she was gone. I assume back to her tree. If she acts like that with babies, they will be safe!
Is this her first setting?
Salmon berries can be yellow orange or red when ripe . Himalayan blackberries are everywhere here . Canes can reach 40 feet in length .Seldom more than 6-8 feet high . They root when they touch the ground .
Happy berry hunting! Looks like fun!

How long did they stay in the coop before their first free range? Have they stayed in there a week yet? I second the notion about tin roof noise. While I was building my dad thought my tin was a bad idea for birds. As a result I did put press board down first then the tin on top. I also insulated the roof ( more for heat retention in the winter) but also helpful for noise I'm sure.

Ha! This made me laugh way too hard!
We mark our ceramic eggs with a little brown smiley face on the end.
I normally make 4 red lateral lines on them, but these were used for the creamettes so I never bothered, then they got recycled to the other hens and went missing.

The wild strawberries are doing well here, and the black caps are immature, but there are loads of them! It does seem to be a great berry season so far. Maybe the mild winter and nice spring, even with all the rain.
Is this her first setting?Yes this is the first setting, hopefully she will do it to the end.
Happy berry hunting! Looks like fun!

Can anyone tell me whats going on????? I COULD NOT get my chickens into the coop tonight???? They all crowded into a corner and practically smothered each other and REFUSED to go into the coop???? I had to physically pick each one up and toss them in?! It is raining with a little thunder and some lightening...could they just be freaking out? I also put new shavings in the coop....As soon as I put them in there, they all crowded into the corner in there?

I thought they killed one of my Cochins, she was so far shoved into the corner of the run that I had to pry her out???? I thought she was dead? I also have a metal roof on the coop....I am just crazy trying to figure out what the heck is going on with them? Now its raining hard and I want to go out there and check on them so bad????

How late did you try to put them away? Was it dark in the coop and lighter outside? Chickens do not like going into a 'dark" coop. You might want to try a light inside next time and see if it makes a difference. I know you have no electric there, but even a battery lantern might help. Turn it off once they are in.

I could see the metal roof scaring them because of the loud noise.
Most likely sensing a storm like you mentioned. Cows and horses will often crowd into the farthest away corner from the direction of the storm to try to get away from it
They have run to the coop in daylight when the rain came and the roof never bothered them....sooooooo I kinda ruled that out for now. I obviously have dumb horses because all they do is turn their butts to the direction of the storm and ride it out ha ha! But I do notice they will not stand under trees during a storm but will stand under the barn roof now.

Siggie, I think I Love Layers is right, probably just the noise. I have a tin roof on my co-op, and it doesn't bother mine but they're used to it.
I thought of that too but then they have run into the coop during our wind storm last week and also during the storm on Saturday my husband said they ran into the coop and would not come out until the sun came out, but that was during they day. I do think they know it is their safe place (for the most part ha ha )

How long did they stay in the coop before their first free range? Have they stayed in there a week yet? I second the notion about tin roof noise. While I was building my dad thought my tin was a bad idea for birds. As a result I did put press board down first then the tin on top. I also insulated the roof ( more for heat retention in the winter) but also helpful for noise I'm sure.
I held them in the coop for about 3 days before even letting them into the run. They have not free ranged yet but now I am afraid I won't get them back in so it will be a while before doing that! They have run to the coop when the dogs bark or during storms so I think they know it's home?

How late did you try to put them away? Was it dark in the coop and lighter outside? Chickens do not like going into a 'dark" coop. You might want to try a light inside next time and see if it makes a difference. I know you have no electric there, but even a battery lantern might help. Turn it off once they are in.
I do believe you are the winner....after I posted last night I started searching the threads and found out I am not the only one who has had this problem...go figure right? Duh, should have done the search before I freaked out and posted but ....it is what it is.... Every day before last night I herded them into the coop before it was dark and they went in without hardly a fuss. Well yes, last night the coop was darker than the outside and being babies, they were afraid of the dark, so me, the big bad mommy just threw them in and shut the door. (I'm a putz)

See, last night I wanted to see if they would go in on their own so I waited until almost dark and then went out during the storm fully expecting them to be safe and secure in their coop. Well they were all huddled in the lightest corner of the run practically sitting on top of each other. I tried several times to herd them into the coop with no success. Now mind you, I had just spent the entire weekend driving to and from southern WI for my nephews graduation party, had to deal with my brothers wife (who is a misspelled witch), I was tired and almost in tears because they just would not go in!!! (all I wanted to do was go to bed) So I just started picking them up one by one and tossing them into the coop. They all just huddled in a corner in there so I figured I traumatized them and they would hate me forever!

This morning they jumped out of the coop as soon as I opened the door and as usual my Australorp tried to follow me out of the run...so at least she forgave me
idunno.gif

I will use our battery lantern from now on and light it in the coop before I put them in. Thanks everyone for your advice !

Last edited:
How does everyone get their chickens back to the coop after they have been free ranging? I just bought some dried mealworms to use as treats but I am still afraid of letting them out because I may not get them back in????

All except the youngest of mine go in on their own, well before dark. King George stays out until the last second in case he can find some slow lone female to assault.

The youngest CLB's from this springs hatch will linger but after a few days of chasing them even they go in for the biggest part.

I would never bribe them to get them in, they will start to expect it and hold you hostage for the worms before ever going in. They are devious like that,

Back
Top Bottom