Artificial Turf as an alternative nesting pad?

hansoto

Chirping
Nov 2, 2017
Colorado
I have some artificial turf that I was thinking about using in my new coop. I have 3 bays in my nesting box and was thinking about cutting six pieces of artificial turf (only 3 at a time would be used). When it's time for cleaning, I'll take the 3 out and put the other 3 in immediately, spray/clean the dirty ones and allow a few days to dry -- this rotation seems to make sense to me.

Thoughts RE: Pros and Cons?

I use mostly plastic nest pads which are much like artificial turf. The nest pads have holes between the tufts and it is easier to wash debris out in case an egg breads or the defecate in there. I think artificial turf may not have holes like that. They are easy to disinfect.
The only real negative I have is that hens rarely go broody on them and I think they don't feel they're comfortable/soft enough for baby chicks.
I had a hen go broody on an excelsior pad. I moved her and the eggs to her own building with a plastic nest pad and she wouldn't lay on the eggs. I replaced the plastic with excelsior and she went right in and started setting again.

I use mostly plastic nest pads which are much like artificial turf. The nest pads have holes between the tufts and it is easier to wash debris out in case an egg breads or the defecate in there. I think artificial turf may not have holes like that. They are easy to disinfect.
The only real negative I have is that hens rarely go broody on them and I think they don't feel they're comfortable/soft enough for baby chicks.
I had a hen go broody on an excelsior pad. I moved her and the eggs to her own building with a plastic nest pad and she wouldn't lay on the eggs. I replaced the plastic with excelsior and she went right in and started setting again.

Thank you! I think I'll stick with excelsior nesting pads and not reinvent the wheel

54EAEF2C-45ED-4AD4-86A9-12661605BCAF.jpeg
I use AstroTurf in my nesting boxes. :) works just fine and I can just take it out and shake it off if it gets dirty.

Back
Top Bottom