Pics
True! There’s always rats on CL here. Although they’re live which I think is dangerous to them no? So you’d have to kill them yourself which might not be for everyone. I don’t think I’ve seen frozen ones on there yet.

You could ask. I feed my ball pythons live, but have frozen mice for my male hoggie and a special needs ball python (although she has finally managed to strike, wrap, and eat several rat pinkies after 2 yrs of assist feeding). I prekill the mice i feed my female hoggies. I get them all from the same guy. Delivers to my door every Tuesday.

You could ask. I feed my ball pythons live, but have frozen mice for my male hoggie and a special needs ball python (although she has finally managed to strike, wrap, and eat several rat pinkies after 2 yrs of assist feeding). I prekill the mice i feed my female hoggies. I get them all from the same guy. Delivers to my door every Tuesday.
Oh wow that’s awesome!!! So they might kill them for a person if someone asked or? Just out of curiosity, what is the most humane way to kill them? Or like how do most people do it? I don’t even know. I know how to kill chickens and quail but not sure on rodents.

Last edited:
Oh wow that’s awesome!!! So they might kill them for a person if someone asked or? His tour of curiosity, what is the most humane way to kill them? Or like how do most people do it? I don’t even know. I know how to kill chickens and quail but not sure on rodents.
You gas them, usually with CO2.
There are other ways but that is the most humane.

Haven't read through this thread, but I know from the title that you'll appreciate a look at the cute little ornate box tortoise my puppy found. Terrapene ornata. I relocated to a more protected area since it is small enough for her to chew on.
20200802_141743.jpg

I've heard people had REALLY bad experiences with that , any other ways ?
That's the most humane way with normal household tools. I had a bad experience with it as well but I'm 99% sure it's because my concentration wasn't high enough.

There's also gassing with something like isoflurane first (less distressing than CO2 alone), cervical dislocation, decapitation (very messy), freezing (extremely inhumane)...
Obviously you can't use any injectables or other medication or you'd be dosing your reptile as well.

That's the most humane way with normal household tools. I had a bad experience with it as well but I'm 99% sure it's because my concentration wasn't high enough.

There's also gassing with something like isoflurane first (less distressing than CO2 alone), cervical dislocation, decapitation (very messy), freezing (extremely inhumane)...
Obviously you can't use any injectables or other medication or you'd be dosing your reptile as well.
I wondered if the cervical thing or decapitation would work with rodents but it seems like it would be harder to do than with a bird?

Back
Top Bottom