What Is The Latest In Your Garden Today? New Post From The 2012 Post

The latest? I am chicken-proofing my yard. I love my plants just as much as I love my chickens - but they really don't get along.

So I am moving my 8 foot above ground pool out into the yard and making a large enclosure for my chickens. It has 3 walls already, so it was the easiest path forward. They will have tons of room and be sheltered from the sun and the wind.

My pool being in the middle of my yard will mean less mowing!

I also am thinking about enrichment activities for the new enclosure. It is currently just mulch and a few paving stones. I moved my compost pile into the corner yesterday. The girls can work off some of their energy and help me with my chores by turning the compost. Not sure what else to do for them.

Part of the chicken proofing means fixing my fence. A project that I have wanted to do since day 1, but kept getting bumped. I am surrounded by dogs on all sides and a creepy/nosy neighbor on one, so I am super happy to finally get this project going. I have about 19 sections of fence to set and build. Currently have 3.5 done. I am doing all the work myself, and I don't have a truck so I can only buy about a panel's worth of material at a go. (But, I am impressed with how great my corolla is doing with the hauling)

I have a small “staging area” fenced off from chickens, cats and dogs and so far in it I have a 15 gallon pot full of garlic for chives and small bulbs, 2 small raised beds for herbs, 3 sweet 100 cherry tomatoes in ground and 10 tomatoes in 15 gallon nursery pots, 5 eggplant in nursery pots, 2 turmeric and 2 ginger in pots, 3 Serrano peppers in pots, a window box full of herbs for the wife, 8 blueberries and 2 elderberries in ground, 2 apple trees, 2 peach trees and a pear tree are waiting with my cucumbers, zucchini, yellow straight neck and yellow crook neck squash and spaghetti squash in trays, are all ready to go into ground, and in he actual garden there’s 30 heirloom tomatoes with 2 rows of taters that the puppies dug up and played with right after I planted them in February, I stuck them back in ground (the ones I could find) and I have the most pitiful showing of Taters I’ve ever had in my life. But that’s how it goes.. and 5-600 plants in my junk room in the house in a homemade grow tent waiting to get outside..

Today my plans are:
-Finish adjusting my too-steep chicken ramp. Need to build a landing and install it. Paint it too.
-Check the sliding door I built yesterday didn't swell too much in the unexpected rain we had overnight. May need to adjust for swelling
-Start cleaning up backyard garden beds.
-Dig in the pavers for my newest raised bed. Gotta fill soon, so I can get cukes planted in it.
-Turn the compost
-Move the plants that have been living in my basement all winter onto the enclosed porch. Finally past the last frost date for my area, but we have been having such a weird year (in a bad way) that I don't trust putting them fully outside yet.

I am open to any suggestions of gardening in the desert at 4300 ft. Is it too early to plant peas? I have a boat left the previous owners on the east side and the ducks are laying under it...I want it moved.

I don't know if posters will use this new branch-off from the the 2012 post, "What did you do in the garden today?". That post has A MILLION reply's since then on the makings of everyone's garden, and I thought it would be a refresher for a new garden going-on's. And so that anybody that has questions in the world of gardening can skim through the reply's for answers, instead of going through ALL of the reply's in the original 2012 post.Feel free to talk of the events going on in your garden in this What Is The Latest In Your Garden Today post, 2021!

To start things off, I have harvested all the corn off of my stalks and uprooted the stalks. Have also uprooted the old tomato plants to make room for the germinating tomato seedlings. I have also started germinating lettuce, onions, and tomato's in my greenhouse.
I’m confused like what zone are you in? I’m 7a and my tomatoes are turning red

Today my plans are:
-Finish adjusting my too-steep chicken ramp. Need to build a landing and install it. Paint it too.
-Check the sliding door I built yesterday didn't swell too much in the unexpected rain we had overnight. May need to adjust for swelling
-Start cleaning up backyard garden beds.
-Dig in the pavers for my newest raised bed. Gotta fill soon, so I can get cukes planted in it.
-Turn the compost
-Move the plants that have been living in my basement all winter onto the enclosed porch. Finally past the last frost date for my area, but we have been having such a weird year (in a bad way) that I don't trust putting them fully outside yet.
Wow, you’re to do”s there are a lot like mine

I’m confused like what zone are you in? I’m 7a and my tomatoes are turning red
I'm in zone 8, we grow Roma tomatoes, and once the tomatoes start to change to blush, all of them usually ripen around the same time. Once most of the tomatoes on the vine have turned a blush color, we pull all tomatoes off the vine and uproot the plants, since in our area we have trouble with bugs getting to the produce. We then let the tomatoes ripen fully in our garden shed. We have a "safe than sorry" policy with our tomato plants! lol :)

Back
Top Bottom