Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

No electricity thus no work where I'm at since Monday. Snow Brazilian!
20220106_202630.jpg
20220106_202519.jpg
20220106_202714.jpg

This is my first pair of orientals, and I'm still reveling over the thickness of their legs, and how surprising heavy they are, especially the pullet! Much heavier than the wyandottes I've had. I suppose they lack the 'fluff' of wyandottes, and have much more muscle mass. The cockerel is a rather friendly soul (to humans. Other roosters, not so much, which is to be expected, I know). I put the string around his leg so I could keep him in a relatively contained area while I photographed him, and he was very good-natured about the whole ordeal. He will come to me and allow me to pick him up without much fuss. The pullet is a different story, very nervous and flighty. The cockerel also got the top of his comb nipped by frostbite (first time since I've had chickens that I've had to deal with frostbite here in SC..that polar vortex overstayed its welcome). I love their colors, and individual personalities. I know I've mentioned this before, but their intelligence far surpasses my other birds.

First time in the snow. They hated it and immediately went back into the coop. You can tell the cockerel was unsure about the whole ordeal because he kept his tail all pinched up, especially in the first picture. I've noticed that when he feels confident and comfortable, his tail is spread and sweeping. When he is afraid or uncomfortable, he keeps it pinched up.
The pullet finally started laying. She lays a medium sized, light beige egg with large white speckles. A very strange color. They're not calcium deposits, but flat patches of apparently white pigment. I thought that it was a first egg oddity, but every egg since then has been the same. She lays about 5 eggs a week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom